X Chapter Eight X

Syn- Age 16

Illumi- Age 20

Killua- 8

Alluka-7

Kalluto-6

Milluki(nobody cares)*edit* (one person may care) *additional edit* (one person also only cares about his anime collection..so maybe 1.5 people care )*additional additional edit* (one other person has chimed in with a sentiment of caring so 2.5 people may care) -15

Rain pelted me from above soaking into my clothing, chilling me to the bone as I stood atop the rooftop of an excessively large and extravagant mansion next to the silent and ever expressionless Illumi. It was our first contract since the engagement, I'd been avoiding him ever since that day, not that he'd take notice. I didn't know how to act around him now, were things going to be different? Should I act differently? Was he going to act differently? Needless to say, my head was a hot mess.

We were contracted to protect the mansion and the rich (not by legal means) family inside, they'd received a threat from a small militia group and were supposedly sending about 20-40 armed men to storm the place. It was a simple contract, most likely a one-person job. Illumi didn't need me here, but Kikyo had insisted we go together, something about nothing like bonding with your intended while killing under contract. I suppose in its own twisted way there could be something kind of cute about bonding on a mission, if one's partner was anyone other than Illumi. He took contracts far too seriously, he took everything far too seriously.

If it didn't have to do with the contract, then it wasn't worth talking about. I'd learned early on to not talk to Illumi when we were on missions until the job was done. I had pestered him so much with questions on our first mission together he'd knocked me out and left me in an alley for nearly an entire day, though was nice enough to stay nearby in case anything was to happen, but that was beside the point. I'd thought I'd learned my lesson from that and on our second mission was humming to myself, apparently, that was not acceptable either, as he so kindly pinned me to the side of a building with his damn Nen needles.

The hair on the back of my neck stood on end, jolting me out of my reminiscing and I turned only to jump as I found Illumi staring at me intently. Had he been talking to me?

"You're distracted." He noted absently.

"Sorry." I hurriedly dropped my gaze and scanned the perimeter.

A chill ran down my spine and I chanced a glance in Illumi's direction only to jump as I found his face close to mine. "You're acting strange."

I stumbled away from him before straightening up, "I'm fine."

Illumi looked thoughtful for a moment, but accepted my response with a shrug and returned his attention to the perimeter. We stood in silence with the rain pelting us from above. I resisted the urge to shiver, knowing that if I did he'd notice and think me weak, but it was freezing and he was right, I was distracted and it made it easier to focus on the minor inconveniences I'd always been able to ignore.

"Let's go." His voice was soft and toneless, and I followed his gaze, about twenty men had stepped onto the grounds stepping out of a nearby forest.

He gracefully leapt off the roof and I felt my heart stutter in my chest as I watched him land swiftly on the ground below. His dark blank eyes looked up as he realized I'd hesitated and I mentally scolded myself and flipped off the roof landing in a less graceful forward roll as I was too focused on watching him and would have landed wrong and broken both of my ankles had I not fallen into a roll.

Illumi threw me a curious look, he'd seen me land much more gracefully than that thousands of times before. Deciding not to comment on my slip up, he prepared himself for the attack as armed men swarmed toward the estate, more had joined those who left the forest, from a quick glance there appeared to be more than sixty men. That was more than we were originally told. Though sixty or more still wasn't cause for concern, if our contractor had given us false information, that would pose as a problem.