X Chapter Two X

Syn- Age 7

Illumi- Age 11

I woke with a start and my heart began to pound in my chest as I realized I didn't recognize my surroundings. This wasn't the hotel room. The room was large, but mostly bare save for some furniture. I was lying in a large plush bed with simple grey bedding that was heavenly soft and warm. Hesitantly, I threw back the blankets and slipped from the bed.

The floor and walls were all carved from stone and I could tell from the feel of the air around me that I was underground. There was a knock at the door behind me that nearly caused me to jump right out of my skin. I spun around as the door swung open and felt my heart drop as I spotted the monstrous blonde man with the cat like gaze.

"Come with me." He ordered me softly and I hurriedly scrambled after him.

"Um, excuse me." I squeaked as I struggled to keep up with his long strides.

He stopped and turned to me curiously.

"W-What should I call you?" I asked hesitantly.

He thought for a moment, "If you can survive the week, you can call me father, otherwise Silva will do for now."

Father?! "Okay, Silva-sama." I bowed my head and he resumed his pace causing me to once again scramble after him.

He stopped at a large metal door and thrust it open with one great shove and from the groan of the door I had a feeling it weighed a lot. "Illumi, this is Syn. From now on she's your responsibility."

I hurried into the room after him and paused as I spotted who he was addressing. It was a boy, who appeared to be a few years older than myself with soulless black eyes and black hair. He was tall for his age and thin, but from the looks of him quite strong and agile. His face was expressionless as his dark gaze swept over me before flitting back to his father without so much as a word. Silva shrugged before turning and exiting the room, leaving me alone with the emotionless boy.

We stood in silence for a long moment. Not a word was said and for a moment I was unsure if either of us was breathing it was so quiet. My stomach let out an unpleasant gurgle as it twisted painfully and I gasped and wrapped my arms around my stomach in a meager attempt to hush the sound. How long had it been since I'd last eaten? Those cold black eyes fell on me and I let out a terrified squeak despite myself.

"Gotoh." Illumi's voice, while emotionless sounded light and carefree. I wasn't sure what Gotoh meant and was about to question him when a man wearing a perfectly pressed butler's uniform appeared at my side.

"At your service, Illumi-sama." The man bowed.

"Take care of her." Illumi waved to me dismissively. Was he going to have me killed because my stomach had growled? I tensed as Gotoh turned to me.

"Of course, Illumi-sama." He bowed once more before ushering me out the door.

I turned to the butler trying to gauge his strength and fighting abilities as I watched him walk at my side. Not a single movement was wasted, his movements were sharp and precise, this man was lethal. Was everyone here a trained killer?

Sensing my gaze, he turned his sharp bespectacled eyes to me, I jumped and forced myself to look at the floor not sure where I stood on the totem pole. Was I a slave? Was I some weird adopted member of the family? Where did that put me in ranking with the help?

"This way, if you please, Miss Syn." He stopped at a pair of intricately carved double doors and offered me a bow as he opened the door for me.

"Um, thank you sir." I was unsure how to respond and fell into a sloppy curtsy that caused him to crack a smile.