X Chapter Twenty Five X

Over the next couple of weeks, Illumi continued making me eat various strange foods that were supposed to help with fertility. The drastic change in diet had made me feel a little nauseous at first but after a few days it went away. It wasn't that I'd had an unhealthy diet to begin with, but the drastic change to raw food didn't sit well with me. I woke up every morning to find a pregnancy test sitting on my nightstand. The first morning after we'd returned home, I'd been awoken aggressively and dragged to the bathroom by an expressionless Illumi. He handed me a test and waited expectantly for me to do something with it to which I freaked out and accidentally summoned about fifteen hell hounds that nearly destroyed our bathroom. He got the hint. After that incident, he resorted to letting me take the tests in private as I really wasn't okay with him watching me pee on a stick.

Two weeks after we'd returned home, I woke up with a headache and felt more tired than I had when I went to sleep. I rolled over deciding I was going to go back to bed and jumped as I came face to face with Illumi. He was dressed for a contract laying on his side watching me sleep. He didn't say a word, but his lips twitched and turned downward into a slight frown as he'd noticed me jump.

I opened my mouth to ask him if he needed help with his contract, not that he ever did but I thought it was nice to ask and liked spending time with him. My words fell away as he held up a wrapped pregnancy test. I sighed, "I still think it's too early for these things to tell." I frowned. It was my usual argument but as usual it was ignored. Despite being tired, I knew arguing would get me nowhere. "okay."

I took the test from him and sat up. The moment I was upright, I felt a wave of dizziness wash over me. Illumi sat up abruptly and placed an arm around my shoulders to support me as his other smacked into my forehead with enough force I thought I heard my brain rattle at the impact.

"Ow." I muttered.

"You feel warm." He noted as he steadied me and kept his arm firmly around me. Just as I started to relax against him and think to myself his hand felt cool and refreshing against my hot skin, Illumi scooped me up.

The change in elevation made me feel nauseous and I closed my eyes and tried to steel myself as I suddenly felt like I was going to be sick. Illumi gently set me on my feet in our master bathroom and handed me a pregnancy test. He reluctantly left me alone in the bathroom. I started to feel nervous, if I wasn't pregnant than that meant I'd somehow gotten sick and it was probably due to the weird raw foods Illumi kept making me eat. I prayed I was pregnant as I didn't want Illumi to feel bad.

I took the test, capped it and set it on a paper towel on the countertop. As I was washing my hands, Illumi appeared at my side nearly giving me a heart attack. He wrapped an arm around my waist and held me tightly against him. We both appeared to be holding our breath as we stared down at the little white stick waiting for lines to appear. Two lines meant pregnant; one line meant not pregnant.

Time seemed to come to a standstill as we stared down at the test in silence. I looked down at my hands and realized I was tightly gripping Illumi's arm as I was overcome with anxiousness. I eased my grip and glanced back at the pregnancy test. My heart skipped a beat as I saw two lines. I suddenly felt nervous as I glanced up at Illumi.

I felt something stir within me, my heart fluttered unsteadily in my chest as I saw a genuine smile on his face. Before I could say anything, he leaned forward and stole my lips in a kiss that nearly knocked me off my feet. A squeak escaped me and I hurriedly snaked my arms around his neck to keep myself upright. I kissed him back.

A squeal of surprise escaped me as he lifted me off my feet and cradled me in his arms like I were suddenly fragile. Tears welled in my eyes as I was overcome with emotion. It was mostly joy but there was also some fear and anxiousness. He was so gentle and tender as he carried me back to bed and swept the covers around me. He glanced over at the clock sitting on his nightstand and frowned looking like he didn't want to leave.