X Chapter Ten X

Syn- Age 18

Illumi- Age 22

Killua- 10

Alluka-9

Kalluto-8

Milluki(there's potentially 2.5 people who care, though one has made it abundantly clear that they only care about the anime collection)- 17

The wedding was only a few days away and I found myself growing more and more nervous. I wasn't entirely sure how well a loveless marriage was going to work or what to expect. Kikyo had been busy making arrangements for our new lodgings, we were getting an entire wing of the mansion to ourselves. Though I'd been living with the Zoldyck's for more than ten years, I still had no idea how big the mansion truly was, there were still many rooms and wings I'd never explored.

I sensed someone behind me in the garden, trying to hide their presence, they weren't skilled enough at masking their presence to be one of the Zoldyck's or even a butler. My nails elongated and sharpened into razorlike claws. The faint sound of fabric being pulled taught, alerting me to their movement sounded from behind me ,slightly to my left, I spun gracefully and lunged my fingers easily slicing through his neck decapitating him with one swift swipe. Kikyo still insisted on hiring other assassins to test me, she'd been getting slightly more aggressive of late, perhaps she didn't think I was good enough to marry her eldest son.

"You look lovely, Syn-chan." Kikyo's grating voice sounded from the gazebo to my right and I slowly turned to face her with my fists clenched at my sides.

If it wasn't for her terrible character, I'd have thought her to be beautiful with her flawless porcelain skin, her dark hair and her soft feminine features. Lately she'd been trying to dress more the part of a genteel lady wearing corseted dresses with big poufy skirts, complete with oversized hats. Every day it looked like she was having some kind of Victorian Tea Party with her gowns and matching hats. Little Kalluto was at her side in a black kimono and offered me a meek smile.

"Did you need something, Kikyo-sama?" I asked her struggling to keep the disdain from my voice.

"Syn-chan, you're going to be my daughter in a few days, surely you can address me as mother now." Kikyo smiled, though I felt more like I was being preyed upon. The electronic visor she wore over her eyes made it nearly impossible to tell what kind of expression she was truly showing. "You should wear dresses more often." She'd insisted I dress in a more girly fashion the entire week leading up to the wedding, and had even gone as far as to replace my entire wardrobe with various dresses. Today's was a simple red chiffon dress that fell to my knees.

"They're impractical for contracts." I replied simply before repeating my earlier question, "Did you need something?"

She pursed her lips together and I noticed a nerve twitch in her temple. It irked her that I wasn't giving her the satisfaction she wanted, I wasn't lashing out at her for the assassin or giving her any sort of reaction to her pestering. Sighing, she gave in deciding I wasn't very fun to torment today, "Will you fetch Illumi for me, I have some things to discuss with him."

"Okay." I nodded to her curtly before waving to Kalluto "See you, Kallu-chan." I turned on my heel and headed back to the mansion, slowly making my way to Illumi's room.

I wasn't entirely sure why Kikyo couldn't have sent a butler to fetch Illumi, or why she couldn't simply use the intercom in the mansion to call for him or even try his mobile communication device. It was pointless to try and understand her crazy way of thinking, and it gave me an excuse to get away from her, so I was content.