19

"Kate!" I practically shout through my phone as my sister and niece appear on the screen. "Hi Cope-y!"

I fold my fingers down and extend them again a few times in a sort of wave and my grin widens as Copeland copies me.

"Showing auntie Sage your new party trick?" My sister asks her before kissing the top of her head.

"Sage, what the fuck?" Kate asks, redirecting her attention back to me. Her voice has the same tone mom's used to when she was about to lecture us.

"What?" I ask, feigning ignorance.

"You're not taking care of yourself. Why did I find out that you fainted, again, through Calum's Instagram?"

"To be fair, I didn't know you followed him on Instagram or that he was going to post anything and I haven't had a chance to call you since I got out of the hospital literally three hours ago." I say softly.

"What happened, Sage?"

I sigh and look away from her.

"Sage?"

"I've just been having some problems with the crew. One of them I think had a crush on me and got mad when I started showing interest in Cal instead and so they kind of all turned on me and they fucked me over."

"What do you mean?" She presses.

"They just were being really hard on me. They stopped talking to me and then the other day they um, they put me on drums by myself."

"Fuck, Sage."

"Yeah, so I um, I was really overworked and I got dehydrated and blacked out during the boys soundcheck and that's why I landed in the hospital."

"Geez." She says dragging her hands down her face. "So what did Cal have to say?"

"He came to stay with me. Got to my room as soon as he could."

"And what did he say about the crew?"

"Oh he was livid. Apparently he punched the main guy. I haven't seen the damage he did yet but his hands were pretty roughed up so I'm sure Mark looks like shit."

"Good. I'll have to thank him for that one I guess."

I laugh. "I think you guys would get along well."

"I really want to meet him." She smiles back, bouncing Copeland on her knee as she starts to fuss.

"I want you to! You guys should come out to see me!" I tell her, excitement in my words.

"I don't know, Sage." She sighs. "It's been a little harder here without you than I thought it would be."

She bites her bottom lip and drops her gaze.

"What do you mean?" I ask her, my eyebrows knitting together.

"Just...I don't know. You've always been there to help when I get overwhelmed or to entertain Cope while I get stuff done and don't get me wrong I'm so incredibly thrilled for you. We just, we're still adjusting to not having our Auntie Sage-y around." She gives a sad smile.

"I miss you guys so much. I wish I could be there and here at the same time. You really should come visit Kate."

"I'll see what I can work out with my job. I don't know where I'd stay or how Copeland would deal. I don't know who could watch her if I just wanted to come. I don't know." Her eyes take on a glassy look and I feel a pang in my heart as I stare at my sister.

"I miss Miller." She says quietly and it damn near breaks me.

"I'm so sorry, Katie." I say, my lip trembling.