13

The performance in St. Paul seemed to take forever. Maybe it was the awkwardness that had fallen between myself and the crew with Calum's requests or maybe it was the anticipation of Calum's promise for when we got to the hotel that had me bouncing nervously on my toes as the final chords of the boys set rang out.

I'd been held as far away from Cal as possible, once again serving as an assistant to the front of house sound engineer. I finish up my duties, thankful when I'm finally dismissed from service for the night and heading straight backstage to find Cal.

"Hey!" I hear the call from behind me, a grin spreading across my face as he opens his arms to me. "Sorry I'm so sweaty. Give me like thirty minutes to shower and then meet me at the band bus? You can ride to the hotel with the boys and I. It's just a few blocks."

"Sounds good" I offer, pushing back from his embrace, he catches my fingers as I pull away and pulls me back in, placing a chaste kiss to my lips before releasing me and heading for the showers, a smug smirk on his face.

I can't seem to wipe away my own grin as I head for my bus, sighing as I step through the door unsure of what to expect from the guys today.

I'm met with cool stares and silence as I bypass them and head for the junk bunk, grabbing down my suitcase and packing an overnight bag for the hotel before slipping back out the door as quickly as I'd boarded.

I walk over to the band bus, knocking on the door since I don't know the code and waiting for someone to open the door for me. It only takes a moment before it slides open revealing Luke.

"Oh, hey! Cal said you were riding over with us, he should be back in just a few minutes, he got caught up with our manager so he was running a little behind."

I nod and follow him up the bus steps, giving a small hello to the other two boys, Micheal and Ashton.

"I don't know if we've officially met." The blonde says from the couch, leaning forward to shake my hand as I sit across from him at the booth table. "I'm Michael and this is Ashton." He says gesturing to the one with the black, slicked back hair.

I give a small smile and nod feeling incredibly awkward and intrusive, the last time I'd waited for him on the bus they'd barely acknowledged me and to be honest, I preferred that to their stares on me as I felt myself grow anxious.

I breathe a sigh of relief when Calum appears at the top of the bus stairs. I had't heard him enter but I noticeably relax once he falls into the booth beside me, his arm almost instinctively falling over my shoulder.

"Boys, this is Sage." He says, looking to me to confirm the name I wish to use with them and I offer a smile. He's the only one who I allow to call me Rowen.

"We were just introducing ourselves." Michael says and I mentally thank him for not insinuating how terribly awkward and unapproachable I came off. I suck at people.

"Thanks for letting me ride with you guys, my bus is kind of hard to be on right now." I say, my voice small.

"Why's that?" Ashton asks, looking from me back to Calum.

"There's just been some stuff said since Cal and I started hanging out." I say, trying to divert the attention away from this subject. I shouldn't have brought it up.

"It's settled now. I've talked it over with them." Calum says and I give a tight smile. Now they weren't talking about me, because they weren't talking to me.

I drop it though and lean my head against Cal's shoulder, the short ride to the hotel passing quickly before we offload and grab our keys and split off to our separate rooms.