7

AN: If you're looking for a smut free book, this ain't it. Consider yourself warned! 

THIS IS A DOUBLE UPDATE READ 6 FIRST! ILY, Sav

"We keep meeting like this." A low voice says from the place just behind my left ear. 

I take notice of the way my heart leaps in my chest at just the sound of his voice and the heat of his breath against the back of my neck.

I place my drink, water, back on the bar and spin to face him. He places his hands against the bar on either side of me and leans in so he can be heard above the music and noise around us. 

"You tracking me, Hood?" I ask playfully. I've decided to throw my caution to the wind tonight and let what happens, happen.

"Perhaps a smarter man would. To be honest I've been at a table with Ash for an hour trying to build up the courage to come talk to you." He says gesturing over his shoulder to his friend. "You look damn good, Sage. But you know that, don't you." He says against the shell of my ear, slipping his hands to rest on my hips. "Come with me?" He asks, gesturing to the door that leads to an outdoor balcony. 

I eye the exit nervously, wondering what he may ask when we are somewhere where we can be more easily heard. I remind myself that tonight I had decided to be brave, my right arm wrapping around my left and rubbing the skin where my dagger is inked into the back of my bicep. 

I nod and he smiles before looking behind the bar that's just behind me for the bartender. 

"Let me just get us some drinks first, what are you having?" He asks, gesturing to my clear drink. "Vodka?"

I bite my lip and debate simply telling him the truth, it's not something I'm embarrassed by, but that's a story for another night. 

"Can I get a rum and coke?" I ask him and he give me a funny stare but orders my drink and something with whiskey for himself, placing the drink in my shaking hand before leading me out to the balcony. 

Warning bells sound in my mind but I shut them down. It's just one drink. One is fine. I'm fine. I'll be fine. 

I bring the concoction up to my lips and sip, relishing the soft burn as the liquid makes its way down my throat. 

"So I've been wondering for a few days now, how come you don't go by Rowen?" He asks and I sigh. It's an innocent enough question.

"Um, I don't know really. Well, that's not true." I admit with a sigh. Be Brave. "I did go by Rowen for a long time, until I was about nineteen actually."

"Damn, and you're how old now?"

"Turned Twenty-Five in  August." I tell him. 

"So this is decently recent." He comments. His tone is curious but non-judgmental.

"Yeah."

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." He says, his eyes staring at me as he sips his drink. 

I fiddle with my fingers trying to garner the courage to tell him. I have this overwhelming desire to share with him even though I typically reserve anything more than surface level discussions for my sister. My drink looks awfully inviting in its glass and I raise it to my lips, knocking the remaining liquid back, my face souring from the taste before I shake it off. 

"I um, I stopped going by Rowen when my Dad walked out on my family." I say finally, my eyes glancing up to meet his. 

"Shit, Sage. I'm sorry. I didn't know it was so personal. We can talk about something else." He says quickly, fumbling over his words sensing that I'm more than a little apprehensive to share.