Merry Christmas??

The month of December went by fairly quickly. Nao had gotten quiet, almost meek, as he observed the brothers. He had also gotten fairly good at avoiding getting bitten.

Really, it only happened a few times more; before he began to understand the vampires. He was beginning to grasp their personalities and how to work around them.

His exploring had led him to finding great places to hide, places where it was harder to smell him. So even if he couldn't talk his way out of something, he could hide when he wanted alone time.

Other than that, the only thing of interest that happened was the time he had broken into Yui's room. . .

Nao presses his ear to the door, listening and sniffing carefully. Once he was sure there was no trace of anyone, he tried the door. He isn't surprised to find it unlocked, Yui is that kind of careless girl. Though she probably doesn't have a key to lock it anyway.

He slips inside, quickly closing the door behind him. Not knowing how long she will be gone, the boy hastily starts his search. Nao didn't think that Yui would be able to hide it well, so he just started going through drawers. Making sure to straighten it up afterwards, he thoroughly searches her dresser. Nothing. Then the nightstand. Nothing again.

He runs his hands up and down her bed and under her pillows, then checks under her bed. Still nothing that seems unordinary. Of course he doesn't know what he is looking for exactly. Just that it is probably something that can hurt the brothers. Otherwise Yui would have no reason not to hand it over.

He starts to make his way to the closet when the door bursts open, startling him. He looks over to find Yui standing there, much to his surprise. He wondered why he didn't smell her, but giving another sniff he realizes it is because Ayato's smell is all over her.

"There you are. We need to talk." He plays it off the best he can, setting on her bed.

"W-what are you-?"

"The door was unlocked and I figured waiting for you would be easier than going and looking."

Yui hesitantly nods and steps inside, closing the door. "What did you need?"

Nao thinks for a second before deciding she owed him some information, so he might as well ask. "Why do you want me to get to know the brothers better?"

"Cause I believe you will change your mind. I believe we can all get along."

"Even though you don't know me?"

"I know you are a good person! And I want to learn more. "Yui looks so sure but Nao just snickers. He thinks she is too naive. "Is that all you wanted to ask?"

Nao gives a long sigh. "You want me to get to know them, but all they want to do is eat me. The least you can do is tell me what you know." He was still mad at Yui, who likes to act so innocent while openly making it harder for him to get to safety.

Yui nods and grins, happy that Nao is finally going to seriously try to get closer with the brothers. She also wanted to be friends. She had always wanted a younger sibling, though Nao was always distant and didn't seem to act the age he appeared.

She sits down on the bed, slightly turned to look at the now laying Nao. "I will tell you then. Everything. It isn't very happy or pleasant though."

Nao gives a slight nod, not surprised. He listens without a word or reaction as Yui rants on and on about her time here. He only gives her a slight glance when she speaks of her dreams, and heart pain, and the strange lady she sees. She even confides in him her worries about what she read in her father's journal.

Nao grimaces and sits up when Yui grows quiet. It was quite a lot of information and some of it was confusing. It gave him a headache.

He understood why Yui felt bad for the brothers, but he still didn't see the point in giving up on life because of that pity. He was sure she wouldn't be able to change them like she wanted. But he also knew from her dreams and such that there was something not right with Yui.

"I know you probably don't understand fully. And I know it is selfish of me. But I think that together we can help them even just a little. They treat me better than they did. They aren't really bad people. I think you will understand if you get to know them."

Nao stares at her for a while. "You say that yet you still tremble and smell of fear. It would be better for you if you just escaped and moved on. I guess that isn't like you though." He was less angry at her but he still thought she was stupid.

Yui laughs slightly. "Yeah. Besides, I don't think I want to leave anymore." She is staring off, daydreaming.

"Really you picked a hard life and love for someone so sheltered." Nao laughs as her face turns bright red and she frowns at him. She lightly hits him before laughing herself. "Thank goodness you aren't mad anymore."

The cat boy's head tilts in confusion, this girl was such a strange one. Why would she care if he is mad?

"I was hoping we could become closer. You are almost like a little brother but you're somehow always so distant. . ."

Nao's brows furrow and a tick mark is visible. "Younger brother. . ." He grabs onto her cheek and starts pulling on them. "But I am most definitely older than you!"

"Eeeh?! Knno eaayy" Yui tries to talk while her cheeks are being grabbed, pulling away. "How old are you?"

Nao hesitates, arms dropping to his sides. "Umm. . . I'm not sure. . . But I'm definitely older than you!"

Yui isn't convinced and teases Nao for a while. Nao thinks she is annoying but doesn't hate it. Yui finally drops the stuff about age to talk on and on about doing Christmas.

Nao's head tilts again. "Christmas?" He has a very vague recollection of such a thing and of course he has noticed the big celebrations in towns. "The thing with the tree and presents and stuff?"

Yui sighs dramatically. "It isn't about just that. It is Jesus's birthday!"

Nao doesn't know any Jesus so he wasn't very interested. "So why does everyone celebrate his birthday?"

Yui looks at Nao like he grew two heads and goes on to tell him it is somehow connected to religion. Nao doesn't really get it or care. "Are the brothers really gonna want to celebrate something like that?"

"Ayato said he would." Yui blushes. "I already know what I am going to get him. Why don't you celebrate too? It'll be fun!"

Nao gets up with a yawn. "I'll pass. I don't think the brothers would be interested either. Just do your little couple thing." He gives a wave and leaves the room to go sleep in his own, leaving a beet red Yui alone.

Some vampires were very disappointed that Christmas, watching their brother have a lovey dovey time while they are empty handed and alone. They couldn't even seem to find the kitten boy that day. Meanwhile, Nao was busy exploring the underground part of the mansion while using Yui's perfume to help mask his scent.

In other words, a very uneventful time from Nao's prospective. It was not the same for Yui and the brother though. Yui's romance and her connection with Nao was growing strong. And that behavior of Nao's, unbeknownst to the boy, was fueling the brothers interest and impatience.