A Hungry Kitten

Nao shuffles through the forest, brown leaves crunching under his feet. The night was in full swing causing his light pink, lavender-tipped ears to lay flat on his head in fear. They twitch at every little sound, even those that came from his empty stomach.

His small frame is hunched over almost like a frightened cat. Well, Nao supposed he was one in a way. He was far too weak to fight anything off, though his 5'3" body makes it hard to believe Nao would fight at all.

Another growl comes from his stomach, seemingly louder than the last. A hard shiver follows, the frosty night easily slipping through his thin black clothes. Winter had started strong this year.

Nao softly cursed at himself for the carelessness that got him into this situation. He could sense the little girl was near him at the time but let his guard down, thinking a child was surely no threat. She moved quickly, for a little one, as she pulled his hood down and off his head.

It was only a matter of time before the onlookers grew in numbers and chased him out of the small town. Nao can't help but chuckle dryly at their screams of monster. He has never known a monster to be so weak and helpless.

Another loud growl from his stomach and a wave of nausea brings him out of his thoughts. Nao willed his feet to go faster but they only seemed to slow. The boy had been trying to get out of this forest for at least two days now. It didn't help that he hadn't eaten for about 3. He had thought about changing directions multiple times, but there was too much fear that it would only make him more lost.

His feline eyes peer through the darkness with ease. He thanked the stars it was a new moon tonight, hoping it will make spotting a light easier. A light means humans and humans mean food. It will be much easier to sneak around as well.

Nao sees something faint in the distance and starts running using the trees around him for support. His hope overcame the exhaustion and dizziness he felt. Finally he reaches a clearing, looking out at what seems to be the back of a mansion.

For a second, the boy thinks that it might be abandoned. That is until he saw the lights he caught a glimpse of in the forest and a well kept rose garden. Within minutes, he had managed to stumble his way to an open window, pulling up his hood to hide his ears. It has ears of its own, distracting from the strange lumps that his real ears cause. Nao also put on his mask, covering half his face. The only thing that can be seen with all the black clothing is a tiny portion of pale skin and his red eyes.

They almost seem to glow in the surrounding darkness, a glint of hope in them as he slips through the window. Inside it was immediately warmer. Just a slight cold winter breeze from the window he came in through.

Quickly Nao hid himself in a shadowed corner and sniffed the air deeply. One side of his lips twitches up a bit. His ears twitch as he listens hard. After a few seconds, the other side of his lips follow suit, setting his face into a grin. It smells a little strange but no fresh scents and no sounds.

Nao relaxes slightly and makes his way through the empty mansion, leaning on the walls. The boy followed his nose to the kitchen and completely abandoned his sneaking. Nao knows carelessness is what got him into this situation, but he can't think straight. The exhaustion, the hunger, the thirst, they were driving him crazy. To the point where his animalistic behavior overtook him and he could not think clearly.

The boy quickly opens the fridge and nearly cries at the sight. It was full to the brim, making him thank the stars he found such a rich mansion (even if it was creepy). He immediately grabbed something to drink, avoiding the milk. Some people still think cats just love milk. Well Nao knows better by now, after nearly dying from chugging a half gallon of it one time.

He chugs the water and then grabs onto the first edible thing he sees. It wasn't clear what the container held, but he didn't care. Within seconds, Nao was finished with the leftovers and was grabbing something else. The small male knew stuffing himself with the food after so long with nothing was going to make him sick. Once again he couldn't be bothered to care and couldn't stop. He moved on to the pantries.

"Finally, some good luck.", Nao thought right before he heard the door open. A growl erupts from his throat as he continues to open the can of tuna he has in his hand. He was using his claw-like nail as a can opener while chewing the food he already had in his mouth. It sounded far away enough to continue his gorging.

The boy set the can down to stuff his small black bag with food and water. He can't leave without some supplies. Who knows how far the next town is. Everything was fine till a strange scent suddenly appeared around him and hands tightly grip his shoulders.