chapter 31

Tyler grabs my hand and squeezes it in reassurance. We head back towards the house. We stop every couple minutes and the guys listen. Sometimes they do the noise check in perfect sync and I try to hold back a laugh.

"I hear something." Dad says. "What is the rhythm of the beeping?"

"Short, long, medium, long, medium, short." I say. I think that's the right rhythm. I don't know if that's the correct one. My bow has a rhythm too.

Dad cocks his head and listens. Mr. Wolfe joins in. They both grin.

"Yep. That's the correct rhythm." Dad says walking ahead of me and Tyler.

We follow him and I notice we are heading to the backyard.

"Why won't this blasted thing shut up!" Bianca yells.

I let go of Tyler's hand and run up to get my gun.

"Hey! Get back here!" Tyler whipsers to me.

I know he is following me. I slide my way through the crowd. Most of the adults back away when they see me. I make my way through until I get in the middle of the circle.

Bianca looks up at me and grins wickedly. "Is this yours?" She holds up my gun. It is still beeping it's weird code.

"Yep. And the only way to shut it off it to give it to me." I say putting my hand out for the gun. "I don't want you to hurt anyone."

"Me hurt anyone? I can't betray my own fur and blood but you! You are a killer! I saw it when you came into my sight. I kill killers to protect my people. You just kill for the fun." She says taking a hold of the gun.

I lift my chin. "You don't want to do that."

She seems to completely ignore my warning and aims the gun at me.

"You need to be ended before you end others." She says putting her finger on the trigger.

I stand there. She will shoot I know that much. She also has it aimed between my eyes.

Three. She tenses for the punch the little gun will have.

Two. She is hesitating because she has never killed a girl before.

One. I attack.

I duck and lift my hand to grab her wrist. I get a hold on it and lift her arm up in uncomfortable position. She doesn't drop the gun so I twist her wrist. I hear a snap and she drops the gun. I catch the gun before it hits the floor and shoots off. I tuck it in my holster and the beeping stops.

Bianca screams in pain. "You bitch! You broke my wrist!"

I stand there watching. I go to a neutral position. "I warned you. I don't hurt people for the fun of it."

"You just did." She laughs out.

I feel Tyler behind me. He puts his arms around my waist and puts his chin on my shoulder.

I shake my head. "No. I did it to protect myself. Basic survival skill. Everyone knows that. I'm just shocked you hesitated and tensed for the kick of the gun."

"Of course I hesitated! I was going to kill someone!" She yells at me.

Tyler gives off a deep growl and her eyes widen. "Someone you have no right to kill." He growls to her.

"She is a killer! An assassin! How can you live with one without ever worrying about being killed by her in your sleep?" She tries to reason.

"Because she brought me back from deaths door and because she is my mate!" Tyler says with his authority.

Bianca scoffs. "That's stupid. For one move you trust her. Why haven't you followed rules? You're a damn alpha for petes sake!"