chapter 5 ---- Family

You're here🥳🥳🥳. You made it thus far, thank you so much for reading 🤗🤗. That you read up to this point shows me my work is relevant thanks to you.

*

*

*

I sat at the dresser held my phone, I glared at my the screen. It was time to face the music. I contemplated whether I should call my mom or not. I dreaded what she was going to say again. Of course she was going to make a scene, screaming and yelling, then she'll fake cry to guilt trip me.

One thing was certain, I really was not in the mood for her drama tonight. But if I don't call her I was just making thing worst for myself, and she'd just worry more.

I unlocked my phone, dialed her number. I clicked the speaker icon before I then placed my phone on the dressing table. I walked to the window, pulled the curtains down, moved to the light switch, switched it the light to a blue led. I walked back to take a seat at the dresser looking at my reflection in the mirror waiting for her to pick up.

"Hello, Tejumade Macaulay. Why are you never reachable when people try to talk to you?" My mother chided before I could even greet her.

"Well hello mummy! And my phone does have a battery life span, it was off. You are the one that doesn't let me save battery anyway." I chuckled.

"Oh! Be quiet" She chided, "You will understand when you are a mother yourself some day."

I rolled my eyes at her words. "OK, I'm fine. Now that you've confirmed that, can I go now?" I asked exasperatedly.

"How's Beth anyway, I had to call her when I could not reach you all day. Did she tell you how worried I was?" She asked.

"She is probably somewhere in the house. And she did tell me all about it." I said with a pout.

"How's work?" She questioned.

Oh why was she asking so much questions. I asked if I could go earlier, didn't I?

"Mummy, work is great."

"I saw the painting you posted. You my darling daughter are a talented artist. She praised.

"Awwwwn! Thank you mummy." I said appreciatively.

"You are welcomed my darling." She said "And are you seeing anybody now?" She asked. Like that was not the first time on her mind since the beginning of the call.

"No I'm not, mummy. You ask me all the time." I whimpered.

"Well what else am I supposed to do, when I have a grown up like you, who's expected to be married but can't even find herself a man." She reprimanded.

"Who are those expecting, mummy?" I asked exasperatedly.

"People! Everyone! Even your aunt Sandra still asked me when you are bringing home a man this past week. I couldn't say anything." She said between fake sobs.

"Good mom. Good. You don't owe them any explanation whatsoever." I said infuriatingly.

"Oh please, be quiet. Alágídí Oshi (just so stubborn)" She hissed,"Anyway Moleye and Linda are dropping the children off with us for the week. They arrive tomorrow. I think the children are on mid term break. I heard school now take a whole week for break. You should know, You still teach in that school, right?

"Well I do not teach at your grandchildren's school, mother. And schools' academic calendar varies. But it is a good thing they are coming to visit. You will have them to keep you and dad's company." I said.