Chapter 1--- Day Dream

Please note that this chapter has not been properly edited or proofread. Bare with me if there are too many errors. Thanks and have a good read.
*
*
*
*

As I laid there on the couch staring at the blades of the fan as it rolled for a while now, counting every turn it made. I can not exactly make out how long I've been at it, but I was certainly it must have been quiet a long time.

"How many rolls does a fan make in one minute?" I asked as if there was someone in my head that would answer.

"Google would definitely know." I simultaneously gave myself an answer.

"But why three blades though?" If I were to be totally honest, I thinks that's just a waste of resource.

"what if I invented a one blade fan, uhn?"

I continued drifting whithersoever in my thoughts.

"Tejumade Macaulay, how did we get here? We wanted to be a pilot, remember? But here we are counting blade rolls."

We'd thought as kids we'd have everything figured out when we became adults, right? We'd even gone as far as writing a five years plan.

• Aviation school at 19
• Get a recognition for Best female pilot at 23
• Get married at 25
• Kids at 26 etc.

Oops! Down the drain.

Let's just say I had a massive dream of how I wanted my future to turn out.

"What!? A girl's allowed to dream now, isn't she?."

Whatever happened to that car I dreamt of owning at twenty; a matte black Mercedes, tinted glass, and all of those fancy stuff. I wasn't really an expert with cars, but I've had my eyes set on that one for some time now.

Well, I will take the liberty to tell you that that's all a sham. This is no Fantasy Island. You had better woken up from your fairytale dreams, missy. Adulthood is a scam.

Reality was, with a two-twenty UTME result I got admission to study Art. Do not get me wrong, I love Art and decided to share my knowledge of it, it was the reason I became a part-time art teacher.

I was currently shuffling between schools, two to be precise. I got sucked into my thoughts as I laid on my couch trying to structure a lesson plan for the next couple of classes. Speaking of..., I should draw that to a close by the way.

During the holiday season was when I had adequate time for my other stream of income. In my generation, you have to multi-hustle. Otherwise you'd be in your thirties and still feed off your patents. I worked as a commissioned artist as one of my side hustle. I was also doing my own personal pieces and looking to exhibit them soon.

For what it's worth, I didn't just study art for the sake of it. Nor for the fear of having to sit for another UTME. I was going to make a living out of it.

Commissioned gigs weren't an everyday job, but the pay was quite attractive. Sometimes I'd get a big gig and earn what I earned from teaching every month in a day, in fact, in less than twelve hours. Jobs got done, money came in, bills got paid, everyone's good. I also get some of my works sold at reasonable amount. I hope to hit it big like Picasso some day.

Since I ported to the "self Independent" side, I can say things had been pretty smooth, I had not one time had a reason to crawl back to my parents for financial support.

I'd also dreamt of a getting swept off my feet by a decent young man, with his grand proposal. I will walk down the aisle in my gorgeous million dollars wedding dress on a far off fancy island. We'd have our own home, have gorgeous set of twins, a pet or two, we'd live happily ever after.

"Huh! Dream baby girl."

My love life... Absolute mess!. It wasn't like I hadn't been in a relationship ever; oh no! Of course I have, what did you think I was? pfff! It has just been that most of it had ended right before it even begun.

I've been in an out of relationships and situationships, entanglement, detanglement; if that's even a word and I have been straight up single for sixteen months now.

It's actually so freaking hard to find love in Lagos, so it wasn't totally a "Me" problem. Everyone was worried. When I say everyone, I mean my mother.

I was in my late twenties, I'd be thirty in any time from now.  I was the second child of three. My elder brother, Omoleye was married to this beautiful Edo lady, Linda. They have two kids, my adorable niece Fidel and and nephew Pearl. My younger brother, Tiwalade, had recently engaged his long time high school sweetheart; Ebunoluwa (God's gift). Very nice young lady. I masterminded the whole proposal event.

I was like the black sheep of the family. It got so bad, my mother and my best friend began to set me up on blind dates.

It became so frustrating and draining, because most of these guys weren't worth my time at all. I mean the last guy couldn't even remember my name. And the one before that was so self-involved.

Whenever I refused to meet with these people, my mother would start to call her pastors for different deliverance appointments. What is it with African parents?!

Considering the years I'd stayed single, focusing on self-love, self-care, self growth, It's safe to say families should get worried, I guess.

I started to avoid going to family functions. You know how those African aunties and uncles could get, poking their noses into other people's businesses. With their never ending questions
"when are you getting married na", "won't you come and introduce your fiance to us?" this and that. Phew! I can not take any more.

Anyway, what I've always told them whenever they asked me why I wasn't yet in a relationship was that, I was taking my time, and didn't want to jump into any relationship out of desperation or loneliness. Even better, I tried as much as I could to avoid answering those questions.

A female silhouette appeared before me, which scared me a little. I, for a minute there, had forgotten I didn't live alone. I become absolutely oblivious of my surroundings whenever in my thoughts. It's no secret I totally love my solitude.

We both stared blankly at each other. I, on one hand was mostly confused as to why. Was there suddenly a staring contest?

A/N: I hope you all enjoyed it. I'm so excited to be writing again in a very very very long time. And for public view especially. Don't forget to vote and share your thoughts in the comments section below . Thank you.