I inhaled deeply, knowing that no matter how perfectly I explain it, he will never understand. “Am I really living right now, Stephen?”

“What do you mean?”

“I'm stuck in a place with no freedom, guarded 24 hours a week, with cuffs and restrictions. This is not life. It's like I'm already dead, but just not officially.” I muttered, noticing the way his brows pulled together in thought.

“You don't prefer this over death?” he scrunched his face in disbelief. “You have food, you have water, you have company, you have—,“

“I'm not free, Stephen.” I snapped, making him shut up. “If I'm not free, I'm already dead.”

I could see the pure fear in his eyes as he stared at me, the shock of getting a hint of what I mean slapping him harder than I expected. Then, to my surprise, his face switched to sad. Too sad. Stephen, sad? For what? It can't be me. I furrowed my brows and shifred my body up to my elbows, giving him an odd look.

“What?”

“I never thought of it..this way..” He mumbled, not batting his eyelashes, just blankly staring at me. “You really are something else, craziness...”

My chest tightened at the emotion laced in his voice. I couldn't believe in my eyes that Stephen was sitting in front of me, looking utterly sad that I am doomed to death, almost feeling guilty for it, even though he has no participation to it whatsoever. However, seeing a man who barely wanted to be next to me, have this kind of reaction blew my mind.

“Death is certain for all of us, Stephen. Accept that.”

His eyes fell even more, his lips almost turning into a frown. The air shifted with a sad, nostalgic aura, the room felt dim and cold.

“But you're already dead, Rosie...that's the sad part.” he mumbled, making my heart ache with melancholy.

I forced a smile and reached forward, holding out my hand for him to take. He looked at my hand skeptically before trusting me and giving me his own, his skin cold against my warm one. There was a visible relief forcing through his stiff body through my touch, that I couldn't quite understand why it appeared, but was glad for it after all. There was a tiny glimpse of hope in his dark, emotionless eyes as he looked at me, his lips pursed together into a side smile.

“It's a shame your life turned out like this...It really is.”

I chuckled lightly, fighting with the tears that threatened the back of my eyes with a stinging burn. Hearing such beautiful words from the people I thought that didn't care about me only sent my heart fluttering over the edge. It's been too long since someone actually appreciated me and showed it with genuine, gentle way.

The sound of the open doors being pulled open got us both looking its way, only to see Harry walking in with two officers by his side. The moment his green eyes fell on us, there was an instant anger plastered over his face. His eyes lingered on Steve's hand and mine, entwined together between us. One officer had to push Harry to make him snap out of his angry block of mind and walk forward. For some reason, a tingling feeling errupted in my spine at the sight of him looking at me like that.

Stephen tensed up and let go of my hand before running it though his unruly hair in nervousness. I fought the urge to laugh at his cowardness in front of Harry, even though we ain't anything, he can sense that Harry doesn't approve our linked hands.

“I have to go.” Stephen sighed, standing up. I nodded, our eyes holding the gaze for a little longer before he turned around and walked out of my cell.