The Hunger

*** Weekend Write-In for Feb 14 2020 ***

"hunger": In 500 words, tell what happens when there is hunger

Set on Earth-F

PRIDE

1957 - The Heart of Africa

Once I was a man. Then I became someone else, something else. But I was still a man ... until the second change in my life.

So hungry ... the hunger, it never stops.

My name then, was George. George Davis. But names don't matter now.

All that matters is the hunger.

I was rich, successful and bored. I hunted game. Heh. The irony. I can see it now.

Hunger. Hunger and pain. Hunger is pain!

I suffered a tragedy when I was still just a man. I let that tragedy change me, but it didn't define me.

I can't resist it anymore. God forgive me!

In fact it was an excuse. A glorious excuse as a reason for change. Well, karma certainly caught up with me and I got my just deserts.

Too tired. Can't fight it anymore.

My brother died, leaving me to care for his pre-teen son. And what did I do? Did I use my money and assets to act as a responsible adult?

Sixteen years and the pain and hunger has only grown with time!

No. I did not. I put on a costume and I made an excuse to add interest to my life.

Years of seclusion. Not enough! Hid away in my mansion, but still near people.

And worst of all, I dragged the kid along with me. My nephew, Larry. I'm sorry I failed you, son.

I thought I could control the hunger. But there's no controlling it ... just delaying it.

It was near the end of 1940 or start of 1941, when I donned the costume and allowed my nephew to do likewise.

At times it seemed quelled, but lately ... no, I fear the beast inside me.

The universe only allowed me a year until it hit me with the explosion of karma that I truly deserved.

I killed once. That can never be allowed to happen again!

In my hubris, I called myself The Black Lion. Larry was The Cub.

She didn't deserve it. She was only trying to help.

We were science heroes. We had fame and adventure, but no actual powers ... until that day.

Her only crime was loving me. The guilt eats and eats at me. The only way to rid myself of it is to let the beast in.

December 6th 1941. The so called Sorceress of Zoom was attacking New York and practically every science hero I had ever heard of was there. Dozens of us and we were still severely outmatched.

I had to get away. Away from humanity. To a place where the hunger could be safely released.

Even I had heard of her powers of transformation. Some even said she was the real life basis for the legend of Circe. It fits - a sorceress who could turn men to beasts.

Here. Here in the heart of Africa, hundreds of miles from civilization.

She flung her curse upon me, and on Larry and another guy called The Lynx.

Isolating myself didn't work. It was only a matter of time before I lost control again.

At first the change seemed beneficial. We had powers now! We could transform back and forth. Larry showed remarkable control over it, as did the Lynx. But I ... was another story.

I felt the hunger from the very first. It started small, but it grew.

More hubris. We joined science hero teams, we fought in the war. We could be men or beast men.

The beast inside!

And then I began to devolve. It took years - years that I pitted my will against the change. Against ...

The Hunger!

I began to recognize I was becoming a danger to those around me, so I isolated myself. I found excuses to send my loved ones away, but my fiance refused. She stood by my side.

And one day the hunger took me. The beast took control and the man was gone.

When my mind came back I saw her lying in front of me.

I felt sated. There was blood on my face and my hands were still claws ... bloody claws.

My love. My sweet love. I can only imagine the look of terror in her eyes as the light of humanity faded from mine.

I could still feel part of the beast's thoughts. It was satisfied. It had enjoyed the kill and now it had a taste for human blood!

She had died in terror. And I, The Black Lion, was her murderer!

The hunger had faded, but the image of her throat torn out, remained.

I called Larry. He was grown now, going by Lionheart. He vowed to find a cure, or at least a way to retain my humanity, to conquer my beast as he had tamed his.

But there is no denying the hunger. It began to grow again.

And so George Davis put his affairs in order, and left the United States. And now I have dismissed my guides and ordered them to return up the river as I plunge deeper into the plains.

The beast senses it is home.

I left my tent and supplies behind and now I strip to my bare flesh. There is no life here but animal life. This will satisfy the beast.

There is an abundance of game.

Tawny yellow lions pad near, curious, not attacking, sensing one of their own. My pale flesh begins to darken and be replaced with fur, black as night.

The hunger is easing. The beast senses it is where it belongs.

My thoughts are fading. I stand on all fours.

The Pride fall in behind the beast and submits to this huge stranger.

The Black Lion roars!

Guilt and humanity have evaporated. There is only the beast and it is content.

The Black Lion is home at last. And at peace.