Best friends since school

*** *** Weekend Write-In for 30th June 2017 *** ***

"broken": In 500 words, tell what happens when it's broken

Note - Catching up on past prompts. Written July 12th 2017   

BEST FRIENDS

'Don't make excuses for her Jem.' Sue was raging. This was betrayal in her eyes, pure and simple. Sue always saw everything in black and white.

'I'm not. It's just ...'

Sue was having none of it. 'Just nothing. Poppy slept with your boyfriend, behind your back. She's not your friend, not any longer and she doesn't deserve any consideration.'

The taller girl was in despair. 'I heard from Edward. He said I was over-reacting, that we had that argument last week and we were on a break when it happened.'

Sue shook her head, incandescent with fury. 'That bastard! He's a bastard and she's a bitch. Still ... he's getting on these days, big belly, all out of shape, probably having a midlife crisis,' she finished snarkily, before adding, 'What woman is going to look at a big hairy lump like him now? Except a desperate floozy like her!'

'Sue! You do realise that Ted and I have been together for years! I'm the woman who looks at a guy like him!'

Sue placed her hands firmly on her hips. 'Hmmmpf and you're too good for him Jem. And I'll tell you something else - you're stunning sweetie. Tall, slim and way too hot for a big fat oaf like Ted. And look at Poppy; she's a short dumpy thing beside you. No wonder she tried to steal your man! It's jealousy, pure jealousy!'

Jem sat down heavily, gripping her head in her hands. 'Oh Sue! Poppy was my first friend, we go all the way back to school. I still remember clear as day, playing in the school yard, the old gang. Us and Ted and his little cousin and...'

Sue cut her off. 'Jem, sweetie ... they slept together. Whatever trust you had, its broken.'

'But.'

'There is no but!' insisted Sue. 'Believe me, I know all about temptation but the point is that if you're with someone, you don't go off with his or her best friend, no matter how attractive you find ...' Sue shook off the thought and replaced the sudden image of a certain cute guy with her own boyfriend, seeing his smiling face and golden tanned ...'

'Sue?'

'Yes babe?'

'You're right! Poppy did break my trust. There's no going back to the way things used to be.'

Jemima was resolute on the issue, but this wavered in seconds when another thought struck her. 'Oh, but you know what this means! The group will break up. Everyone will take sides!'

Sue hurried over to give her friend hugs and reassurances. 'No babe, no! I won't let it happen. They're the ones that were in the wrong and everyone sees that. I sent Sooty over to talk to Little Ted last night and he's disgusted by his cousin's behaviour. Humpty too. We'll form a new group, you me, Little Ted, Humpty, Sooty and Sweep!'

Jemima nodded. Sue had bouyed her feeling of resolution and she felt like things could get better, with the help of her true friends. Big Ted and Poppy had broken her trust and they were out! It was that simple.

NOTES: For my own head canon at least, this story would definitely be taking place in my MYTHLANDS continuity. As for the characters, non UK audiences may not be familiar with them - Sooty would be the most famous. Here are some wikilinks.

For those aware of the characters I took a slight liberty by changing the spelling of Soo to Sue to maintain the surprise twist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_School_(UK_TV_series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sooty