A Familiar Song

*** *** Weekend Write-In for 6th October 2017 *** ***

"song": In 500 words, tell what happens when the song is familiar

NOSTALGIA

Vince Chung was back in town for the first time in seven years - he had been invited by the Director of the Frye Art Museum here in Seattle, to make a speech and open up the exhibit featuring his own work - 'The Art of Vince Chung.'

Several of Vince's old college buddies and childhood friends had turned up to support him, and he was pretty glad they did - the presence of Terry and the guys made him feel less self conscious. Black tie galas and events where he was in the spotlight, were not Vince's thing at all. He struggled to get through them.

But Vince had managed ... barely, to give his speech and to the crowd at least, he had sounded jovial and confident. When he was done a hovering waiter offered him a glass of champagne but Terry Watson had other ideas - a beer, procured from god knows where, had been placed in the grateful Vince's hand. Vince noted that Adam, Tyrell and Ramone also had beers.

'Where did you guys get ...'

Terry had grinned. 'This here is a bit highbrow for the likes of us Vinnie,' he'd answered, fiddling with his ill fitting tie, 'But the catering staff were pretty obliging - turns out there's a good supply of beer in the kitchens.'

'Let's get out of here,' Adam suggested.

Tyrell chipped in, saying that he didn't know about the rest but he could eat a horse.

Vince suddenly realised that he was ravenous. 'Do you guys fancy Italian?'

It turned out Ramone and Adam had eaten Italian for lunch and so, as the friends walked out a debate over food, kicked off.

'This is me n Vinnie's old stomping grounds,' Terry mentioned. 'Garfield High's not far from here - Vince, you remember how we used to walk to the International District most lunch times?'

Vince nodded. 'Yeah, there's that bakery with the sandwiches.'

'Hell no!' declared Terry, turning to the others. 'In honor of the Chungster, we're going to sample the delights of the Orient! I remember a place we used to eat at every so often.'

'The Emerald Dragon? Yeah, ok I guess.' Vince could take or leave Chinese food - after all his family had been American since 1878 and the Chungs had never been all that traditional, at least in the last few generations.'

However, the Emerald Dragon wasn't just a place to eat - it was a huge bar with different rooms, kareoke, a DJ and a dance floor. The others, who were already a few beers into a night of drinking, voted unanimously and Vince, mellower now his 'opening night' was successfully dealt with, was beginning to warm to the idea of a good meal and a night of drinking with his friends.

As they walked in there was a bit of music playing, a chart song from a few years back. Vince couldn't quite place it - stuff like that bothered him. He was still trying to work it out five minutes later, having quickly chosen his meal and left to go the toilet - Terry would order for him.

He was humming the music as he walked back to the table - he could see an attractive dark haired waitress taking their order.

Terry saw him and yelled out. 'There he is! The man of the hour!'

The waitress turned and smiled at him. He stared in surprise and then memory came flooding back.

'Ohmigod Song Li! I forgot this was your parents place. But I thought you ...'

His old classmate hugged him and explained she was working in a law firm but was helping out because of the night's rush.

'Business is booming,' Song Li explained after their hug, 'And Mom and Dad would kill me if I charged you guys. Your meals are on the house, but don't go crazy,' she joked.

They hugged again and Song extracted two promises from Vince - the first that he'd stop by the kitchens to say hi to her parents and the second, that he save the first dance for her when she got off at 10pm!