"What were you thinking?" demanded Bard as he faced Thorin from afar.

I simply explained, "You needed protection in order to be there for your family."

"Why though?" rambled Bard while pacing, "You can have yourself killed-"

"Your children are lucky to have a parent like you. When I was young my father was killed in a war and my mother broke. She would go missing for weeks and return drunk," I interrupted and stared at the cracked wood, "I had to take care of her and grow up too quickly. I do not want your children to meet the same fate."

"I had no idea. I am-" Bard attempted to apologize as he faced me.

I responded swiftly, "You would have not known. I only did what I thought was right."

I turned and began to stroll away from the noise of the cheering people looking for a way to leave. Bard intercepted me and motioned me to follow him. In the distance I could see men and women rejoicing with the lord smiling a little too largely for the dangers that await. I followed Bard around the paths that we took the night before and made it back to his home. He opened the door quietly and I entered with a breeze filling the room.

The kids were doing their daily chores and I helped them for the mean time. I swept with Tilda and baked bread for the neighbors with Sigrid. I even got to collect sticks for the fire at night with Bain, Bard's son. The day continued with no disturbance until noon when the dwarves returned.

"Girl, I know now that your journey ends here in Lake-town." Thorin stated as he walked up to me, "With your speech today I know that indeed you are untrustworthy."

"I know from the beginning until now I have lied to you," I tried to defend myself, " and that always comes with a reason. I did not want you nor Bard to come into harms way. To be honest, I have no use for gold or jewels anyways."

"I knew that would be an odd thing for you to state, Mia-" Balin tried to reason through.

"That is enough now. You may do whatever you please now." finished Thorin, "Your journey ends here."

In a blink Thorin sauntered away to his brothers leaving Balin with me.

"I can try to talk to him." offered Balin,"He can be-."

I cut in, "Do not bother, if this is what he wants and this will what he will get."

I trudged out of the situation into the dining room and sat down. Outside there were birds flapping around, they squabbled among their kind. The sound of the steady beat of the waves against the wood was calming. Faint smell of oak from the freshly clean table filled the atmosphere.

"I have not met you, but how are you holding up?" asked an unfamiliar voice with the sound of a chair being pulled up.

I glanced over to see a hobbit with brown curls framing his round face and a dark green cloak draped over his shoulders, "Do not worry about me. I will figure something else out."

"That outburst was out of blue." Bilbo continued, "He is a stubborn dwarf. For the short time I have known you I believe that you would not try to harm us."

I studied Bilbo's face and said, "You barely know me. Why would you trust me?"

"Mia, you have helped us when you did not know us and you have not tried hurt me," explained Bilbo as he gazed out the window.

"Thank you for the vote of confidence. I do want to help you," I returned while adjusting the chair and changed the subject, "Where are you from?"

"I am from the Shire that is somewhat south from here," reminisced Bilbo happily, "with many beautiful places to see. I miss the comfort of my books and home but I am here ready for what is next.".

"That sounds lovely," I mumbled as I thought of my home.

"Bilbo! We need your help!" called out a baritone voice from the other room.

Bilbo waved, "I should get going. It was nice to speak with you."

I nodded as he scurried out of the room to the Company and stood up while stretching. My joints crackled with each movement as my knuckles popped loudly The kids ran around in the living room while the dwarves planned their next move.

My steps were light as I made my way to the front deck of the house. People milled around the walkways and in the canals in their shallow boats. Some where fishing in the vast waters that were open without any wood surrounding it.

Heavy steps were coming up from behind me and I turned my head, "How can I help you, Gloin?"

"Nothing needs help, lassie." Gloin replied as he stood beside me and over looked the waves.

I responded with a grunt and leaned more on the rails thinking about what to do. The issues is that I have no plans.

Gloin pulled something from his pocket and showed me a hand drawn image. It was a young dwarf with a fluffy beard.

He elaborated, "This is my son, Gimli."

"He is very dapper looking," I commented as I looked at the image, the continual breeze made the picture flutter.

"Thank you, he takes after his mother," Gloin proudly answered as he tucked it away.

In a moment of understanding we both overlooked the afternoon water and stayed silent. It was as if he understood my feeling of distress from Thorin's sudden decision. The noise from Lake-town echoed and blended in with the babbles from the birds.