Chapter Seven

"Girls don't have short hair Dallas, why would you do that" My mother told me.
"Girls wear make up and have long hair, without it how are men going to find you pretty?" She continued.
"But momma I don't like long hair and Shelly at school-" My 12 year old self tried to tell her her. She looked at me disappointed before cutting me off.
"Why can't you be like normal girls Dallas." She said angrily walking out my room.
The door opens a few moments later.
Clint came walking in, a dark look on his face.
"Your mother told me you cut your hair." He says, taking his belt off.
Fear grew within me. I knew what was coming.
How was I supposed to tell him that a girl at school had put gum into my hair. So I took scissors to it. I never liked long hair anyways.
"Your going to learn to be a good girl Dallas." He says as he strikes me with his belt.

I awake with a start, sweat lined my forehead at the horrid memory. I ran a shaky hand through my short locks. I was only 12 and that was one of the worst beatings I had gotten. Clint used to use a belt, the welts would be so bad that bruises would form.
As I got older, he replaced the belt with his fists.
I toss the covers off of me and head to the shower to wash away the nightmare.

"Good morning Petals" Henry greets me as I walk in the shop.
I only grunt in response, the memory of the nightmare still fresh in my brain.
Would I ever be normal? I wondered to myself.
"You okay?" Henry ask me, reaching out to touch my shoulder.
I flinch instinctively,
"Yeah I'm fine" I tell him.
I watch as his eyes take me in, examining my face.
Could he see the turmoil racing through my eyes?
He smiles softly,
"You can talk to me about anything Petals." He says.
It's not that easy my brain says.
"I said I'm fine." I snap at him.
He just shakes his head at me slightly, "whatever you say Petals."

Because I was fine.
In my own broken kind of way.