Chapter Five

"Good morning Petals."
Henry greeted me as soon as I walked in.
Holding my "Don't talk to me until I've had my coffee" cup up, I walk by and head towards the counter.
It was too early for all of his cheerfulness.
Of course him being Henry, he ignored me and continues talking anyways.

"So today we have a shipment of tulips and lavender coming in, so make sure you take inventory once that arrives."
Grunting, I nod my head to let him know I'm listening.
He was wearing a blue short sleeve shirt, with some shorts. His hair ruffled messy as always. He looked at me through his glasses and laughed softly,
"Not a morning person are you Petals?" He asks.

I glare at him, "stop calling me that, and no I'm not."

"How's the cabin treating you?" Henry asks me, while sorting through the lists of arrangements.

"It's good." I tell him briefly.

He pauses what he's doing to look at me,
"I'm trying to become your friend Petals, your making it hard for me." He says.

"I'm not really looking for a friend Henry, but thank you." I tell him honestly.
I had too many issues to try to befriend someone as sweet as him.
I would only darken his cheerfulness with all of my secrets.

"Well nobody goes looking for friends Petals, sometimes you just gain them. But typically you've got to maintain a conversation in order to do so. The past week you've been here, you normally only give me short answers or replies." He says to me.

I stay silent for a moment.
"You're right, I apologize for my lack of conversation." I tell him.

He smiles,
"That's all I ask for Petals."

It was late in the afternoon and I was curled up in my window seat, a book in one hand and a hot coffee in the other.
I had finally unpacked and was settled in the cabin.
My thoughts seemed to be clouded by Henry.
I didn't even know much about him, yet I wanted to. His personality was the exact opposite of mine. It seemed to be getting harder to keep my icy exterior up.
I couldn't bear another heartbreak. Nevertheless any relationship I've ever had with a man seemed to be a shit one.

Despite my cold personality, deep down I was scared to let any man in ever again.

Then why did I want to let Henry in?