Protection (Peter Parker)

I sat in the kitchen of the Avengers' Tower, absentmindedly twirling my red energy around my fingers as I tried to think about what to do. I gulped, trying to think about what Peter would say once he found out. I was hoping that he'd take it well, but I had no way of knowing. I looked down at my shaking left hand and smiled slightly at the engagement ring that Peter had given me only three months ago. That had been a magical night. The rest of the team had helped Peter to decorate the roof of the tower with fairy lights and beautiful canopies, making the place look magical. Then, after a candle-lit dinner to celebrate our five-year anniversary, Peter had gotten down on one knee and proposed. It was amazing. My smile faltered again, and I held my head in my hands. How had this even happened? Well, I knew the answer to that, a more appropriate question was how had we been so stupid as to let it happen? I didn't know.

"You okay, hun?" I looked up and gave Wanda and Natasha a small smile as they walked into the kitchen.

"Not really, no." I sighed.

"Why not?" Natasha asked, leaning against the island that I was sat at whilst Wanda sat next to me.

"Don't tell Peter." I gulped. Their eyebrows furrowed and they looked at each other.

"I think we have to hear what it is before we can promise that, hun." Wanda spoke. I gulped and looked between them.

"My period is late." I admitted. Their eyes widened.

"By how long?" Natasha asked.

"A month and a half." I gulped.

"Hun, you need to buy a pregnancy test-."

"I did, I took it, it was positive, I'm pregnant." I rambled, looking between them. They both stared at me with wide eyes.

"Um...congrats, honey? I thought that you and Peter wanted kids." Natasha spoke. I sighed and looked down.

"We do, but we also agreed we didn't want them right now. Both of us are Avengers, so not only do we not want our kids growing up with only one parent or neither of us, but we also don't want them in danger because of our jobs. We agreed to wait until we'd retired." I sighed.

"Well, I'm afraid you don't have much choice now. I assume that Peter doesn't know yet?" Wanda asked, making me shake my head.

"Okay. Well, you need to tell him, obviously. See what he thinks, and come to a solution, together. You never know, he may think that it's the perfect time. I mean, you guys are nearly thirty, you're definitely mature enough for a baby." Natasha shrugged.

"What if I'm not ready for a baby?" I asked. Natasha and Wanda looked at each other and sighed.

"That's something else you need to talk to Peter about, then." Natasha nodded. I sighed and returned it before looking down.

I sat next to Peter at the dining table, everyone eating dinner and chatting.

"So, the teacher walked in, and instead of telling her what he was doing and giving me away, Ned lied and said he was watching porn." Peter chuckled, making everyone around the table laugh. Peter looked down at me and frowned slightly as he saw that I wasn't laughing.

"You okay, babe?" he asked, gently putting his hand on my thigh. I nodded and gave him a small smile.

"I'm fine, just tired." I nodded. He returned it slowly, not fully believing my answer.

"You want some wine, Y/N?" Steve asked as he topped up Tony and Peter's glasses.

"Um, no, I'm good, thanks." I spoke. Peter looked at me.