Chapter 42

Quick note: if I ever write "Mason says," it actually is supposed to be "Max says," but because of my other story, I sometimes forget which story I'm writing about. So forgive me in advance if I do that at all! (Mason is from Missing You, which I suggest reading if you haven't already :) )

Also, I'm soooooooooooooooooo sorry for not updating for like a month! I've been super duper busy (when am I not?). On the upside, this story will be coming to a close soon and a new one will be coming :)

Did he have to show up here right at this moment? Why is it that he always shows up at the worst possible moments?

Most importantly: what if he heard Luke and I talking about what I did?

"What the hell do you want, Max?" I ask him, trying to hold back my anger but sucking at it.

He gestures at himself. "I work here. So if you do anything bad or anything to make me angry, I can get my boss to kick you two out."

"Again, what do you want?" I ask him, clenching my fist under the table.

"How'd you get your fractured ankle?" Max asks.

"We've been over this." I sigh. "I fell down the steps."

"Funny because that's not what Silas said." Max gives me an evil grin.

"What'd he say?" I glare at him. I've said how I got hurt around Silas before.

"He said you were running and twisted your ankle in a pot hole." Max says.

I laugh. "That's what you want to hear, not what actually happened. Why don't you just leave me alone?"

"Because, Marney, that would mean I'm hitting a dead end in the investigation. I only want to find out who egged my car and window. That's all. I don't think you're completely innocent. And when I find out that you've done it, I'll turn you in." Max says.

"Good luck with that. I've done nothing."

I'd ask what he really has out for me, but that would lead me into another thing which can lead to another and create chaos.

"Max, get back to work. I don't pay you to fraternize with the customers." An older woman with greying brown hair hisses at him. Max nods and quickly walks away.

"I swear to god. Some day Max will not be able to see anymore or something else will go wrong with him." Luke hisses.

I shake my head at him. "Don't. He's purposely trying to piss you off. Just ignore him."

"Only because you're here." Luke says. He smiles at me and I smile back.

We talk a bit longer until our food comes out on a giant platter. I have to keep from drooling as I see the spaghetti and three large meatballs on top.

Spaghetti is my favorite.

"Here you two go!" The waitress smiles. "If you two need anything, I'll be around."

"Thanks." Luke and I say simultaneously.

I look at the food and smile. It looks amazing!

"Was this a good place to take you?" Luke asks. He picks up his fork and then starts to play around with the spaghetti on his plate.

"Definitely!" I smile widely and grab my fork to dig in. Once I take a bite, I keep myself from moaning at the great taste of the food. It's warm, but not hot. The texture is nice. The taste is bursting with flavor.

I then look around at the restaurant, taking it in again. As great as it makes me feel to be at a top-notch restaurant, I feel like he didn't have to waste his time taking me on a date here. I do give him credit, though, for taking me somewhere with spaghetti.