Chapter 17

Excuse such a LATE update!!! Hope you enjoy!!

We arrive at the Hart's house. But house is an understatement... It's a mansion!

The mansion is white with large windows at the front and I could see a chandelier hanging in the entrance. I wish I were dreaming...

"I should've had you dress even nicer than you did. I never realized we'd being going to such a nice place." My mom gives me a look and I give her the worst look possible. Even if the house is nice, it doesn't change how much I don't want to be here.

"Woah! A mansion!" One of the boys yells as they climb out of the car.

I so wish I was home right now... How am I going to survive?

I take a look around and notice a figure walking around in the back yard. Of course, Luke has a ghost.

I am not helping one today. Today will be normal except for the fact that I'm going to the most popular guy from school's house...

As we walk towards the house a woman--probably Mrs. Hart-- walks out with a giant smile on her face. It looks fake.

Of course.

Behind her is Luke, a smirk on his face just like usual.

God how I hate him.

"Ahh! Welcome! I'm so astounded that you could join us tonight!" Mrs. Hart says. "You must be Marley. Luke has talked a lot about you!" Marney... It's Marney...

I smile kindly at Mrs. Hart, trying not to scream. Internally, that's almost all I am doing.

"Mom, her name's Marney. Not Marley. How many times have I told you?" Luke watches me the whole time.

"Oh! Yes, yes. Sorry dear! I always have troubles with names." Mrs. Hart gives me an apologetic smile.

"Oh... It's no problem. Lots of people get it wrong." I say.

Mrs. Hart nods. "Shall we go in then?" It comes out as an order instead of a question.

We follow the Harts through their house as they give us a tour. As we do, Luke walks next to me. He's silent the whole time.

"Luke, you two are so silent! Why so? Feel free to show Marney the game room and little movie area. You two can hang out there. I'll page you to the dining room when dinner is ready." Mrs. Hart says.

"Come on." Luke says stiffly. He doesn't look back, just walks. Maybe he's walking a little too fast because I have to jog to catch up with him.

I'm jealous of his house. How in the world does his family get so much money? It's beautiful... But so upsetting compared to my house.

"Why did you want my family and I over for dinner? This sucks." I say once we are in the game room/theater. The room has several arcade games on a couple walls and on the longest wall is a large black screen. A projector hangs on the wall at the screen and there are a few cinema-like seats. Luke sits down in one of the chairs.

"That is a good question." Luke says. He gestures at a seat across from him but I stay where I am.

"Well, are you going to tell me why or not?" I ask impatiently.

"Marney, I wanted you to come over because I have to tell you something... It's about Max." He says. His face looks serious, and it seems like there's a little pity in it.

"You think I'll believe you?" I ask.

"Actually, you may want to." Luke leans back in his chair and crosses his arms across his chest.

"Fine, tell me. I won't guarantee that I'll believe you." I sit down in a chair to brace myself for whatever he may say to me.

"Max is..." Luke thinks for a minute. "Max is a player."

"And you aren't?" I give him a look.

"That's not the point. Surprisingly, I'm actually looking out for you. When I found out that he liked you--which wasn't hard by the way-- I thought about the type of person you are and the type that he is and it didn't match up." Luke frowns at me, his eyes locking with mine.

"And you thought you'd tell someone that you totally hate and who has the same feelings towards you? That's crazy." I say. He shakes his head at me and looks away.

"It's just a heads up. That way you won't be heartbroken when he goes out with a slut like he tends to do once he has someone as innocent as you." Luke gives me a look that says that he truly cares about me. Why though? He hates me...

Hold up!

Does he actually care about me? This might mean that he......

No. Nope. Nuh uh. Not going there.

"Well.... I don't think he'd do that. But if he does I guess I'll have to tell you that you were right. But you aren't. I know you aren't. Who would want to go for him after he was kicked off the soccer team for supposedly talking to thin air?"

"I am right. I think you know that too. At least deep down. I'll be watching him for you." He says.

"Stop! Why do you want to be around me all of a...." I trail off when I realize something.

Luke just may like me.

Stupid ass.

"Do you--" I'm cut off by a loud beep and look at Luke. His face is a little flushed and he looks relieved.

"Kids! Dinner is ready! Come to the dining room ASAP." Mrs. Hart cheers. She must be hungry... Or just genuinely happy.

Luke stands up and walks out the door, I follow.

We walk down a long, narrow hallway to get to the dining room.

Luke stops about halfway down the hallway and I know he's going to say something.

"I don't like you the way you think I do." Luke says. "I mean, I like you, but not in a way that would mean dating or having a 'crush' on you."

"So then why do you want to be around me all of a sudden? You never answered my question." I say, annoyed. I don't want Luke to like me and I'm glad he doesn't. I hate him, even when he's nice.

"Because I know Max better than you do. He's not who you think he is and I wish you would listen to me. He's not just odd, he's also a player. As I said before."

"And you're being nice to me because....?" I ask, still confused.

"Because I was told to be nice to you and if I'm not my mom will kill me. I also don't have a reason to be mean to you." He answers simply.

"Why did you want me here anyway?"

"My mom said it was an 'I'm sorry for what I did' dinner. Don't ask me why..." He says and looks away.

"We should probably go." I say and start walking ahead. Then I realize I don't know where I'm going. "Uhh..."

"Oh yeah... Follow me." Luke says and walks without looking back, further down the hallway.

~Author's Note~

Hey all!

I'm SO SO SO SO sorry for taking so long to write this! I understand that it's a sucky chapter, but whatever. It's more for you all!

I have been so busy lately, I haven't had much time to write, but now I should be able to write a new chapter weekly and/or almost daily!

So what'd you guys think? Was this a terrible chapter?

How's everyone?? I don't interact with my readers/followers enough... Sorry!!

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow! I appreciate any criticism and comments!

Have a great week!!

~Izzy :)