Chapter 23

I realize that my last chapter sucked, so I will make up for it with another chapter. Hopefully this one is better!

Up top or to the right is a picture of Marney's soccer ball. Pretty cute, huh? Remember, it's a ball from when she was younger...

"You're seriously trying out?" Luke asks.

I hold up my bag. "Why else would I have my sports bag?"

"You have a soccer ball?"

I blush.

"Please don't tell me it was that pink one with flowers on it from when we played club soccer..." Luke looks at me and shakes his head.

"Hey, I haven't exactly had the time to buy a new ball. I haven't played in forever."

"You're gonna need to use mine. Do you really want to be laughed at? Plus this ball is smaller than what we use now."

Thank god I practiced with a different one the other day...

Luke walks me to his locker and grabs his own bag and hands me his ball.

"I treasure her, so if you ruin her, you owe me." Luke kisses the ball and I stick my tongue out in disgust.

"Gross."

"That kiss was for good luck and a goodbye kiss in case you somehow ruin her." Luke slowly hands me his ball.

I laugh. "I don't think I could ruin it. It's a nice ball."

"She," he corrects, "She is a nice ball."

I throw my hands up in surrender. "She."

"Thank you. Good luck. They work you hard." He says.

"Who wouldn't work people hard?"

"True. Just kick some ass."

I smile and walk down the halls to the girls locker room and see about fifteen other girls getting changed into clothes to tryout in. It's weird because they have soccer tryouts before Christmas, but we practice longer than any other schools. I change into shorts and a comfortable t-shirt. I put on some new soccer shoes that I picked up.

I had enough time to pick up new shoes but not a new ball.

I quickly grab Luke's ball and jog to the gym.

"Ables! I haven't seen you since you were in 8th grade!" Coach Maloney barks.

He was my coach since I was five years old.

"Hello, Coach. How've you been?" I smile.

"Great, Ables. How about you? I hope you came with more skill than I saw you with." Coach smiles.

"Oh, I did. And I'm doing well."

Some girls saunter in and Coach leaves me. I take that as a chance to warm up.

I stretch out my legs and take a lap around the gym. A couple girls follow me and I'm surprised they would. I then grab Luke's ball and juggle it.

No, it's not with my hands.

"Wanna warm up together?" A girl surprisingly shorter than me asks. Why would anyone talk to me?

"Umm... Sure." I smile. We juggle with each other and then we pass the balls back and forth in different ways. She has very good skills.

"You're good! I'm Jenny by the way. I know who you are, you're Marney. Right?"

I nod. "You're gonna hate me now, aren't you?"