Chapter 12

"I can't believe you, of all people, would start something like that!" My dad yells for the hundreth time. Seriously, I think it may be the hundreth time...

"But I didn't! I've said this a lot, but you don't believe me! Max stepped in all of a sudden because he was mad at Luke, and so then Luke threw the first punch and it got bad. I swear I had nothing to do with it!" I cry, tears streaming down my face.

Nobody believes me.

"Go to your room and your mom and I will talk about your consequences. This isn't over." My dad says.

I quickly run out of the kitchen or the investigating room as I'm going to call it from now on. As I run up the steps I hear a door shut quickly and realize my brothers were listening in.

What a show it must be for them.

I run into my room and slam my door. I then grab my phone from my bed and walk to my window. I need fresh air, and this is the only way I'm going to try get it. I climb out my window and lightly land on the roof of my garage.

The cool thing about the house I live in is that there is a large window that is only a few feet above the garage roof which happens to be connected to the house. This is my only getaway when I'm in trouble.

I sit down and try to stop crying. I don't think I've ever cried as much as I am in a while. This is pretty bad.

As I try to calm down I look to see if I have any messages or anything. One from Ally and a bunch from Max.

The first text says:

Hey, call me. I need to talk to you.

So I do call him, but I wait until I've stopped crying so that he doesn't suspect.

"Hello? Marney?" Max says.

"Y-yeah. It's me." I say with a little sniff. So much for trying to seem strong over the phone.

"You were crying? Oh my god, Marney. I'm so so sorry. You were probably yelled at by your parents, weren't you?" Max asks.

"Yeah... They... They don't yell at me often because I never really get into as much trouble as I did today. T-this was bad..." I trail off. I hate when I cry. I really, really do. It makes me feel weak.

"I'm so sorry. You shouldn't be yelled at. It was all me. Why did you take some of the blame? I mean, you could've just said that it was me." Max says. He sounds so soothing, like he's a parent talking to a child and at the moment, I don't care that he's talking to me in a weird-soothing voice.

"No... I could've just walked away, but I didn't because then the wrong things would get around." I sigh.

"You know what? I'm coming over." Max says.

"Are you coming over to apologize to my face?" I joke. I can joke when I'm sad. I'm not sure why...

"No. I'm coming to apologize to your parents." Max says. Why? And how?

"How the hell are you going to get over here? You don't have a car and I can't drive and pick you up, of course." I say. This'll be interesting.

"I actually have a car..." Max says.

"Well thanks for telling me." I say. Why wouldn't he tell me? I've been driving him home everyday after he comes over after school to help our daily ghost. But since he has a car, it would save me a bunch of money.

"I've had it for only a couple months. I don't drive it often because it's a pretty nice car and I don't need to ruin it just yet." As he says this I hear rustling and realize he's already getting ready to go.