Chapter 34

I automatically freeze as I see him standing at the door with my mother and Tori who's in a wheelchair.

What is he doing here?

"Hey, Mar." Max smiles.

"What the hell are you doing here, Max? I think you should go." I snap.

My mom gives me a look. "He just wants to talk to you, Marney. Give him a chance."

Since when is mom on his side?

Max awkwardly clears his throat. "Could we talk somewhere in private."

"Not with you." I say.

"Marney Tessa Ables!" My mom yells.

Tori laughs. Oh, the side effects of drugs. She stumbles over to the couch and flops down. "Marney's in trouble." She laughs.

I roll my eyes. "Fine. What a great time for you to show up." I say and lead him to the back yard.

"I wanted to talk to you." He says, his eyes staring into mine.

"About what exactly?" I sigh. "I'm kind of busy with my sister's problems than I am with you."

"God, why are you so rude all of a sudden? You were calling me a couple times after the situation and now you're being a bitch to me." Max says.

"A bitch? You just called me a bitch?" I ask. I clench my fists.

I thank god that we're outside and not inside. My brothers would be going crazy with what's going on.

"That's what you're acting like." Max says simply, and shrugs.

What the hell? "First, you come to my house for something that you have yet to bring up, next you call me a bitch?!"

He shrugs. "I'm being honest."

That's it. I take my hand back and get ready to smack him, but when it's just inches from his face, he catches my hand and pulls it away. He holds it firmly in his hand, not letting go, even though I'm pulling, trying to get my hand out of his. I grab his hand with my other hand and try to make him let go. "Let go of my hand!" I yell. He grabs my other hand and pulls me towards him.

Next thing I know, he's kissing me. I let him kiss me, until I realize it's not Luke and quickly turn my face away from him. He continues to kiss my cheek, lightly. I try to pull my arms free and kick him when pulling doesn't seem to work.

"I said let go!" I yell as he stumbles to the ground, letting my hands go. I scoff, "You're just a pig. You're just looking for girls to play with. You want to make them love you, fall for you, and then once they realize what you're trying to do, you're forcing stuff on them. What type of guy does that? How did I get myself into this mess with you? How was I stupid enough to not realize it right away?" I start to break down in tears. He just watches me from the ground. "You don't even care what I'm going through at the moment. I can't believe you!" I scream. "Leave me alone. I hope you someday realize how disgusting and cruel you always have been with me and how you played me."

I turn away from him, not letting him see me cry any longer and then run inside, making sure not to slip on ice on my porch.

I hate Max. He can die for all I care. As long as I don't have to see his ghost.

~

"I'm gonna kill him." Luke announces.

"No." I say flatly. Luke has me in his arms as we sit on his bed.

"Well, he shouldn't have kissed you. Does he not realize how wrong on so many levels that is?" Luke almost yells.

"Of course he doesn't realize. Or, at least, he doesn't care. He's heartless." I sigh into Luke's chest.