Chapter 14

That's right. There was a pounding or something. It continued for about a minute.

Max and I are frozen, I stay on his lap and he squeezes me into a hug, then he lets me go and slowly and quietly slides me off his lap. He slowly stands up and walks over to a small crack in the wall of the fort to where the noise or pounding is coming from.

"There's nothing there." Max says with a sigh of relief. He keeps looking through the crack, though.

Then he jumps.

Okay, this is scaring me. What would make someone like Max jump?

"Hey, guys? Whatcha doing in there? I'm not going to barge in or anything..." It was Ally's voice.

I jump off the couch and pull the door open as fast as possible and pull her inside.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" I want to yell, but I can't or else I'll wake everyone up.

"Well, I was kind of just walking around..." Ally starts, but I cut her off.

"It's probably like two o'clock in the morning!" I say.

"Umm actually, Mar, it's 3. But whatever... I need to tell you guys something... And anyway, why are you even here, Max?" Ally half glares at Max.

"I was here to apologize. So what are you here for exactly?" Max asks.

"Well, during school there was this big rumor going around saying you two were going out... If you are then I'm going to be super pissed off at you, Marney for not telling me." She lets it sink in, then carries on. "So then I was at a table near the populars for once and I overheard them saying they were going to spy on you two and see what's really going on."

"Shit." I say and take a seat on a chair. This is not good at all.

"Shit is right!" Ally says. "What exactly were you two doing? I thought I... Umm... Heard moaning... That's why I didn't just walk in..."

"Oh god! Why couldn't you just have called me to tell me? That would've worked a whole lot nicer." I frown at Ally.

"I figured if keep an eye around your house... It's not like I have anything better to do on a Friday night. I swear we need to hang out again soon..." Ally trails off. What's with her trailing off so much? It's annoying.

"Plan that later. Is anyone outside right now?" Max asks Ally. This is like the first time he's talked since Ally's been here.

"I thought I saw someone in the little wooded area in the back." Ally says. "You guys are pretty much being stalked. I don't understand it because neither of you are popular anymore. At least I didn't think you were... But who am I to know?! I'm not of that group. I never was, never will. It was a stupid idea to go anywhere with each other though."

"Well, thanks for telling us. Now we have to figure out what to do." I sigh and sink down into my chair. There is no way I'm going to get out of the fort without being afraid of people seeing Max and I together.

"You know, I don't understand what's such a big deal about this. They can see what we're really doing. I seriously don't give a flying shit about what they think." Max says with the most serious face ever.

I laugh at him. "'Don't give a flying shit'?"

"Whatever. Laugh if you want. Just trying to lighten the mood. But seriously. I don't care. I really, really don't." Max looks straight at me.

"Were you guys having a big make out session? Because if you were I'm sorry for barging in and I would say get a room but you aren't doing anything in front of me and I..." Ally runs out of breath. She said it so fast I don't know how she could say all that in one breath. I'm not sure how it's possible.