Chapter 39 Part 1

Urggg I'm not so sure when to end this story!!

Please read the author's note at the end!

"I thought that was going to happen." I say into the phone.

Honestly, who ever really thought that he would even want to stay with his grandmother? And I don't want him to stay for me.

Even though I'll miss him. A lot.

"Marney..." Luke says, stopping as he must be thinking about what to say.

"Yeah?"

"I don't... I don't want to go. I don't want to leave you." Luke says.

And I don't want you to go. "But you should. You have to." I say.

"I know."

I move around on my bed and wiggle under my blankets. The house is cold and I don't want to go to the thermostat to change it. I sigh.

"Mar... What are we going to do?" Luke pleads. His voice sounds kind of hoarse.

"How am I supposed to know?" I cry. Tears begin to well up in my eyes. I hate to cry, but lately it's been what I've been doing a lot.

"Luke? Who are you talking to?" I hear in the background. The voice is muffled, but I still know who it is. His mom.

Could it get any worse?

"Can I talk to her?" His mom asks, her voice getting closer.

"No... M--" Luke is cut off when she comes on the line.

"Hey, sweetie!" She chirps.

"Um... Hi Mrs. Hart." I say weakly.

"I wish we weren't moving." She sighs into the phone, disappointedly.

"I wish you weren't." I agree. As much as Mrs. Hart annoys me, I still don't want them moving.

"Especially since we need to move a bit sooner..." She starts and I freeze.

Sooner?

"How much sooner?"

"A week or two." She says. "And Luke'll have to leave a little sooner to get into school. We'll be moved in by two weeks."

I drop my phone on my bed in shock.

So soon?

"Marney?" I hear Mrs. Hart faintly.

I grab my phone and pull it to my ear. "I-I have to go, Mrs. Hart... Bye." I say and hang up before she can protest. I hang up and drop my phone again, then curl up into a ball and begin to cry.

~

"Sooner?!" Jenny freaks as she follows me into my room. I nod slightly. "You can't be serious."

"Oh, but I can." I take a huge sigh.

After I got the news about Luke and his family, I had to talk to someone. Now that Tori was back in college and Ally wasn't around, Jenny was the next best person to talk to.

She comes closer to me and wraps me in a tight hug. "I'm so sorry, Mar. So much is going on with you and it's just too much." She whispers quietly. My pain is hurting her, even.

"I'm fine." I lie, even though she knows I'm not.

"Don't lie, Marney. That won't help you." She says.

"Nothing can help me." I say miserably and she lets go of me. Her eyes are wide and a small smile appears in her face.

"I know what'll make you feel better." She smiles.