Section Forty - Three - Birthday Girl

Salt Lake City, Utah

We had just wrapped up our investigation in Magna, Utah. The episode was scheduled to air on August 20th, just nine days before my birthday. It was a really rough and intense location per usual, but this shoot was developed in such short notice, so everybody was stressed out, including me, but I wasn't even in the episode! I was just there for moral support! I knew I was a good girlfriend and coworker, but it took a huge toll on me sometimes. Actually, a lot. I was a full-time college student. Even though I was thirty-two, I decided to start fresh and go back and finish my college career. Luckily, I've been able to do my schooling online so that I could travel considering it was my job to be on the production crew. Now, I know what you're thinking:

"Ghost Adventures started out at just a three-person crew. What happened? Is it fake now?"

No, no, and no.

As time progressed, the show has become more popular. Therefore, it has been more difficult to plan the next location, book the necessary hotel room, book the next flight, process the new interviews for the new location, etc. It was too much at times. I didn't join the crew until 2015. Zak and I had known each other for a while before I joined the crew. Zak was impressed with how well I kept things organized.

Us women are great at being organized anyway, it's not just me.

So, I became a kind of like the Ghost Adventures Crew secretary. I handle the booking of the hotel rooms, getting the best route together since we now take a high-tech bus, and making sure the locations are booked.

I was longing to get back to the hotel room to piss Zak off by turning on the heater. I can't help it - I'm cold! Even though it wasn't exactly Spring weather here in Utah, it wasn't warm enough to walk a block without a jacket.

As usual, I had forgotten to work on an assignment that was due in a couple of days.

Great.

Can we insert an eye roll? If that's possible, someone please tell me, because I'm sure I will mention it a lot during this brief tale.

Anyway, I was rushing to get this assignment done. I wanted to get it done as soon as possible that way I didn't have to worry about it anymore. And of course, Zak walks in with take-out he and the guys picked up on their way back from filming. Again, with an eye roll, he knew I would be distracted because I am very food motivated.

"Whatcha doin'?" He asked as he took the food into the small kitchen area and got out two to-go trays. It smelled like a sub sandwich.

"Trying to bust my ass to finish this paper that's due in a couple of days," I said, leaning back in my chair and stretching my shoulders as I threw my hair into a messy bun. And when I say 'messy bun,' I mean messy. It's not one of those cute messy buns that highlight a lady's features. My version of a messy bun made me look like I was on welfare and had six toddlers attached to my hip.

"Sit tight then, I'll bring you your food!" Zak chimed from the kitchen as he got me a water bottle out of the fridge. Oh, what a gentleman he can be sometimes.

Notice how I said 'sometimes'?

In that sense, he's up to something.

"Well thank you!" I said as I looked at what he brought me: a six-inch sub sandwich with turkey, cheese, and tomato. Major distraction from what I was trying to work on. Oh well.

One thing about college: once you get behind, you stay behind. It's kinda like paying bills. If you don't budget yourself quite right, you will never get ahead and you will always worry.