Chapter 38

Just then, there was a loud sound overhead as a large group of ships emerged from light speed. 

"Did you hear that?" Rey asked. 

Ben nodded he looked up, the night sky was filled with old ships from the empire, but they all appeared to be in excellent working condition.

"Owen...?" he trailed off, hoping that this was some kind of secret project the General had been working on.

"It's not me," Hux said but he almost wished it was.

"Not good..." said Ben.

Just after he had spoken the words the sound of an explosion came from the base.

"Not good at all," Poe added.

"Let's go," Ben said, drawing his lightsaber.

Hux nodded and drew his own lightsaber.

Rey drew her lightsaber and followed as Ben and Hux ran away from the Ewok's village towards the base, where the attack seemed to be coming from.

As they reached the old Empire base the destruction was horrific the base was completely destroyed and there where emperor scorpion tanks and tarantula walkers everywhere there was nothing left to save.

"We're too late," Ben said watching helplessly as some of the former First Order stormtroopers were taken prisoner aboard the scorpion tanks and tarantula walkers.

Rey watched as hundreds of battle droids returned to the Imperial shuttles, then took off to join the Empire fleet. "No..." she whispered, taking his hand. "If everyone was here, we would have been destroyed along with the base."

Ben nodded as he looked at the base which had been leveled by a series of bombs.

"What do we do now, we have nothing?" Hux asked.

"I don't know...all of our weapons, all of our ships have been destroyed," Ben replied.

"Oh no!...Han's ship!" Rey exclaimed, running towards the rubble, pulling Ben along with her.

Hux followed behind them.

Rey sighed in relief as she saw that the Millennium Falcon was still in tact.

"She might need a few repairs, but I think she'll be okay," said Rey, sounding relieved.

"Are you kidding? Nothing could destroy that ship," Hux said remembering the times Han and Chewie would take him flying.

Rey smiled. "You're right," she agreed. "I just want to make sure that I take good care of it for Han."

Ben looked at the ground and Rey sensed his guilt, she could feel him fighting back his tears at the mention of his father.

"That's not the only thing you'll take care of for him," Hux said bumping Ben in the arm trying to lighten the mood.

Rey smiled shyly. "He would be so happy that you're back...that's all he ever wanted."

Ben nodded, allowing a single tear to fall from his eye.

Rey hugged him. "I know that he's proud of you Ben, you finally overcame the darkness."

Ben didn't reply, he couldn't find his voice in that moment, so he just leaned on her shoulder so that he could finally cry and let out all of the pain that he'd been holding in for all of his life.

Hux stood there for a moment knowing the pain that Ben was going though but before long his senses got the best of him "we probably shouldn't be out in the open."

Rey nodded. "We should head back and tell everyone what happened, they're probably worried about us."

Ben lifted his head from Rey's shoulder, and turned away from Hux. He didn't want him to see the tears that streaked his cheeks, he couldn't believe that he had actually cried in front of him. But he hadn't been able to keep it in hearing Rey say that she wanted to take care of him and the Millennium Falcon for his father... he missed him.

Rey gently wiped his tears away, knowing that he wouldn't want Hux to see them.

"I don't mind you know," Hux said.

"What?" Ben asked, trying to act normal.

"Ben I have the Force I can feel it when your crying," Hux replied.

"Oh," Ben answered, a little embarrassed as they made their way back towards the Ewok village.

Hux shook his head, all those years he'd been mean to him still blemished their relationship.

"What happened?" Leia asked as they came into view.

"It was the Empire...they've returned," Ben answered gravely.