Chapter LIII: Light Labs and Deep Darkness

(Shadow Agate belongs to ProfessionalRanter, not me)

It was getting really late that night when Robert, Steven, Arya, and Lapis Lazuli finally reached Lewistown, Tuckyken. Steven and Arya fell asleep in the back. Robert pulled into a motel parking lot. "Remember, Lapis, this isn't Beach city, there are a lot of bad people, people who I hear make Jasper look like a wimp...and we're looking for what's said to be the worst one here." Robert yawn-splained.

"How so?" Lapis asked. "Have you been here before?"

"No...I just know the big cities are where a lot of bad things happen..." Robert explained. "Just...please be careful, I'd never forgive myself if you got hurt."

He honked the horn and woke up his sister and Steven. They got up and trudged to the back of the car to get their stuff. Robert got his before realizing Lapis didn't have a bag. "Lapis, did you pack anything?" Robert asked.

"I don't need sleep, I can phase into any outfit I want, I don't need to eat, and I have a knife from Bismuth, I'll be fine," Lapis answered.

"You might get bored tonight." Robert said. "We gotta sleep for a while after this trip...or at least, I do."

Lapis became concerned and walked with him to the room which he paid for using a gift card he got for his birthday from Greg.

The room itself was nothing to write home about, it was about as roomy as a motel room could be. Steven and Arya collapsed on one of the beds and were out cold. Robert returned from the front desk and climbed into bed, only taking half the blanket in case Lapis wanted to try sleeping with him. Lapis insisted on flying through the town and seeing what the town had to offer. She found a peculiarly shaped building that read "TFC Yum Center'' and it looked like there was an event happening inside. She peered through the top window and saw a strange ritual happening inside,

There were people playing instruments, much like Greg and Steven's, except they had an audience of other people surrounding him, and they were playing a very much different style of music. Lapis seemed very interested in the performance until the lead singer pointed up at her without realizing. Afterward, she immediately flew back to the motel room and woke up Robert, startling him.

"What is it?" he asked after recovering from shock.

"What was that going on in the TFC Yum Center?" she asked curiously.

"Hang on, lemme check what's goin' on in there." he said before opening his laptop and checking the schedule.

"There was a Bob Skeleton performance, why?" he asked.

"I was just...curious..." she said.

The next morning, Steven, Arya, Robert, and Lapis got out of the motel and drove to Light Laboratories, because Arya believes Shadow Agate may attack one of his relatives who works there, as well as Steven and Lapis wanting to meet said relative.

They ended up at what appeared to be some sort of college campus that prominently read "Light Laboratories."

They ran to the receptionist, who didn't seem to care about anything.

"Welcome to Light Laboratories, how can I help you?" she asked, more bored than interested.

"Do you have a...Dr. Light in this lab?" Steven asked worried.

She dialed a number on a phone and called. "Yeah, Tom? Three kids and a blue girl wanna see you," she said.

"Send 'em up," a male voice replied, and the receptionist told them his room. They made a beeline for the lab and nearly burst down the door coming in. The room itself was rather big, and had piles of boxes and various robot parts strewn about the room.

"This looks like Amethyst's room" Steven commented.

"Who's there? Shadow Agate? Is that you? I'll get your pay, lemme get the lights. H-hang on," a man's voice said, and they heard two claps before lights came on. The room was revealed to be cleaner than they first thought, having all the necessary parts to build a robot organized in the boxes. A tall, thin man with orange hair, glasses, and a white lab coat and full beard turned to face Robert. "Ah, the visitors the receptionist sent. How are you?" he asked.

"You said something about Shadow Agate, we're looking for her." Steven replied. Dr. Light nodded his head in understandment. "We need to ask her a few questions about the Deep Darkness." Arya added.

"That I wish I knew more about, but I don't have the time nor the patience to study something that doesn't concern me. Shadow Agate will be here soon so you can ask her. I have to get back to work." Dr. Light said before turning back to his desk to slave over what appeared to be an upper arm, but at the same time, it sort of looked like a finger.

"Hey, Doc. I've got the motherboard you needed, where's my money?" A gruff voice asked from behind them. Robert, Arya, and Steven turned around to see a charcoal-black figure who dwarfed Pearl by a longshot.

"Hey, are you Shadow Agate?" Robert asked politely. "If you are, we need to ask you a few questions."

"Who are you? How do you know my name?!" the figure asked defensively before noticing something. "Wait...Light Robert? Light Arya?"

"Oh, Shadow Agate, that's right." Dr. Light said before opening a drawer and pulling out a few one-hundred dollar bills. "Here's your paycheck," he said, plopping the money in her hand and taking the motherboard.

"What do you want?" Shadow Agate asked.

"What do you know about the Deep Darkness?" Lapis asked.

"Well, you're gonna have to pull up a seat, because it's a loooong story." Shadow Agate replied before clearing her throat.

"The Light realm and the Dark realm are mirror versions of each other, with some minor differences, such as Light Homeworld gems can't form there because, well, there is very little light there to form with. However, If you were to get...robot or human bodies, you might be able to, I don't know.

"Anyway, a witch from the Dark realm seized control some time ago, and now she threatens the Light realm." Shadow Agate explained.

"We know that, but...Who is she? Where can we find her, and...Why is she doing this?" Robert asked.

"And how do we beat her?" Arya added.

Shadow Agate rolled her eyes. "As of the last time we met, she took on the form of an elderly human woman she calls 'Lardna,' and she lives in a place known locally as 'Orange County,' and...I don't know what her weakness is. Countless have tried to put an end to her reign of terror, but all have failed. They mistake her for a servant, so do not make that mistake. I am telling you this because I once worked for her...She never paid me, and nobody stiffs me and lives to tell the tale!" She explained.

"Wait...Lardna tortured you for nearly ten years! Why didn't you kill her when you had the chance?" Arya asked Robert.

"That's because I never did have the chance. She was always four steps ahead of me. And I...want to be more of a pacifist." Robert replied.

"Well, you're gonna need the Sacred Song to do it. And judging by how far you've come, I'd say you're almost done." Shadow Agate said.

"Do you know where the last melody is?" Steven asked.

"Why don't you try reading that dumb book?" Shadow Agate replied. "Anyway, I gotta go. See ya!" as she dashed off.

When they got back to the car, Robert checked the book, and there were only seven dots on the map, all of them have been visited.

"Maybe Garnet and I could combine our psychic power, and maybe Mom's magic, and we can maybe locate it?" Arya suggested.

"Maybe, but I'm not sure if that'll work." Steven suggested.

"Let's just hope nothing bad happened to Beach City while we were gone" Lapis said, as they drove back to Beach City

TO BE CONTINUED...

Question of the chapter: Where should the last melody be?