Chapter XXXVII: The Light Prognosticus

It's been a little over two weeks since Michael and the Crystal Gems left to get their true family. Robert couldn't complain, though, as Lapis Lazuli was there with him. Often, Lapis left to get materials for sculptures, which she calls "Meep-Morp". At first, this got under the skin of Robert, but over the course of the time he's been at the barn, he's gotten used to it

Robert spent the time alone mostly playing video games, piano, and sleeping, to help him get over the weakness his sword left him. Robert was fully healed by that point, so Dr. Maheswaran was wrong about the time Robert needed to stay out of the front lines.

While in the middle of his piano lessons, Lapis came back. Robert was completely lost in the melody he created, and she just stayed quiet and listened to it, completely mesmerized by it.

When he stopped, he noticed her there and became somewhat flustered.

"Wh-What are you doing here?" he asked.

"That was beautiful," she said. "You play the Piano?"

Robert blushed. "Yeah..." he said, ashamed. "Everybody says I'm a nerd for it..."

"Well, then screw those people. I like that you're able to play an instrument so well," said Lapis.

Robert nodded and continued playing the melody, this one more energetic and joyful than the last.

Just then, Bismuth came in. "Hey, Rob," she said.

"Oh, hey, Bismuth," Robert said, now more confident in his skills. "Like my melody?"

"It's...interesting. When did you learn to use that instrument?" Bismuth asked.

"I...don't like to talk about my past..." Robert responded, turning around and silencing the room. "Anyway, what do you need, ma'am?"

"Well, I found out that your sword wasn't always cursed," Bismuth said.

"What do you mean?" Robert asked, "And how did you find that out; doesn't Pearl have it?" Robert asked.

"Well, yes. But look," she said, handing him what appeared to be the book Garnet held.

"This is the Light Prognosticus," Bismuth said. "And it will save you a lot of time when looking for the next melody."

Robert raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?" he asked.

Bismuth opened the book to the map of all the locations, one of them scratched off.

"Well, you know how you've been learning the melodies by doing various things? Well as it turns out, these locations are actually the burial grounds of the mages who made the melodies," Bismuth explained.

"Mages? Magic isn't real, it's just glorified science," Robert said.

"And what do they have to do with the Sacred Song?" Lapis asked.

"I told you, they wrote the song." Bismuth said, handing him the Prognosticus.

Robert flipped to a page that explained the creation of the prophecy.

It stated that long, long ago, before Pink Diamond came to Earth, the Great Wizard Merlin received word during his intellectual pursuits that a darkness would shroud not only Earth, but the whole universe. In response, he tasked eight of his highest-ranking mages to find a hero to combat this evil, and record their findings in the Light Prognosticus. When they returned, they only found Edward of the Light clan, while a mere knave, but Merlin knew he carried the blood of a brave knight.

Merlin taught him all he knew, and Edward was an excellent student. In fact, he even found love with the first mage, the fair Lady Primulieri. Merlin warned that their child would not be the hero in question, rather, he would be an ancestor of the hero. Merlin commanded that the hero be given the Light Prognosticus.