Chapter LII: To Lewistown!

(Thanks to reddit user /u/akachipsahoy for the alternate names)

(Shadow Agate belongs to ProfessionalRanter)

After bubbling the Rubies, Robert, Michael, Arya, Steven, and now Connie piled into the car and drove off, as the party continued.

"Why'd we leave?" Connie asked.

"According to Michael, his dark counterpart explained someone named 'Shadow Agate' who can give us insight as to what we're up against, maybe even tell us where the last melody is," Robert explained. "And I really doubt your parents would be too thrilled knowing that you were attacked by a possessed alien."

"Aliens," Steven corrected. They continued to drive until they reached the Maheswaran residence.

"You said your place was...here?" Robert asked, pulling up to Connie's residence.

"Yeah, thanks for taking me home," Connie said, more to Michael than to Robert, who left as soon as Connie shut the door to the car.

Robert dropped Steven off at his door and left him at the temple and drove back to his place.

Steven was curious about this "Shadow Agate," and if she can help. If anyone could provide more insight about this person, it was the Crystal Gems. However, Steven was too tired to ask at that point, and slept until morning.

The next morning, Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl waited for him to wake up at the kitchen table.

"What are we waiting here for?" Amethyst asked.

"I sense Steven wants to ask us something, but there are too many possibilities on what he wants to ask us." Garnet replied.

"Well, whatever it is, I'm sure it's nothing we-"

"Can you guys tell me about Shadow Agate?" Steven asked.

Garnet and Pearl looked at each other. Amethyst stepped next to Steven, as she didn't know either.

"Shadow Agate is a mercenary gem, and it's best you stay away from her," Pearl replied.

"If you want a more detailed description, ask Peridot." Garnet added. "She can point you in the right direction." With no time to hesitate, Steven and Amethyst warped to the barn. Peridot was busy with her new virtual reality headset.

"Greetings, Steven. I was just working on this new technology that is all the rage with humans. I was just working to improve upon it to make it even more immersive!" Peridot explained. Amethyst picked it up and tried it on, as the boxes in the corner made a whimpering sound.

"What's that?" Steven asked. "It's a surprise," Peridot responded almost immediately.

"That's great and all, but we need your help with something. What can you tell us about Shadow Agate?" Steven asked. Peridot's expression indicated that was something she did not want to hear. She took out her tablet and searched her database hesitantly.

"Despite the name, Shadow Agate is not a traditional agate like Holly Blue. She is actually a fusion between three gems: A ruby, an amethyst, and a jasper, sort of like how Garnet is not really a traditional garnet. Shadow Agate was a mercenary during the gem wars. It's rumored she had ties to the Deep Darkness" Peridot read off.

"Deep Darkness?" Steven asked before Amethyst fell over, taking of the headset.

"You need to slow this thing down, it's enough to make me motion-sick," Amethyst coughed. "Anyway, what were you talking about?"

"The Deep Darkness is what we call the dark force that threatens Homeworld and, by extension, Earth. The very same which you are combating." Peridot explained. "There are rumors that Shadow Agate had ties to the Deep Darkness and knows who it's controlled by and what we can do about it. It's

rumored she hangs around at a tavern in...Lewistown, Tuckyken?"

"Lewistown? Maybe Dad knows where that's at!" Steven replied, as he ran back to the warp pad and ran to his father at the car wash.

"Hey, schtoo. What's going on with you?" Greg asked.

"Can you take me to Lewistown?" Steven asked. "There's somebody I gotta meet there."

"Uh, Steven..." Greg started, scratching the back of his head. "That's where Percival grew up, not me, so you gotta ask him."

"Okay...Thanks, Dad." Steven replied, giving his father a hug and making a mad dash to the Light residence.

"Good ta see ya, soldier." Percy greeted as he walked into the living room. "Need anything? That temple of yours could use an american flag,"

"Hey, can you take me to Tuckyken?" Steven asked.

Percival sighed and called for Robert. Robert came down the stairs a few seconds later. "Yeah, Dad?" he asked.

"Take this kid to Lewistown, I really don't wanna see...him right now," Percy sighed, lighting a cigarette.

"Who are you talking about?" Steven asked.

Percival ignored him and went into the garage. Robert got his keys and backpack. "Pack your stuff, this is gonna take a while." Robert said as he searched his contacts and made a phone call.

While Steven was packing, he heard the warp pad go off and saw Lapis walk through the temple and out the door. Steven was confused, but continued packing anyway, and headed out the door, and to Robert's car.

When Steven reached the car, Robert put his and his little sister's duffel bags in the trunk and saw Lapis get in the front passenger seat. Arya walked out the front door and waved at Steven, who blushed and waved back before getting in the car.

"So is this like a double date again?" Lapis asked,

"If you want it to be." Robert responded, blushing.

"So, what do you think is in Lewistown? Besides Shadow Agate, of course." Arya asked.

"Well, there is the TCK Yum! Center, various other restaurants, museums, their own university, and...Light Laboratories..." Robert read from his phone, becoming awkward at the last item.

"We should go there! I want to meet the rest of your family!" Lapis said excitedly.

"Uhhh...I don't think my family's there, but...we'll see..." Robert said as he looked back to make sure everyone had their seatbelts before starting the car.

"Next stop: Lewistown," Robert declared as he drove off.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Question of the chapter: If you wanted answers from a mercenary, what would you do in order to get them?

XxFallen_GodxX

Craftfury

Stormysue14number2

SardsSU

emeraldacrystalgem34