44. A wonderful Christmas time

A/n I originally wanted to split this chapter, but ultimately decided against it. So, in true tv-show fashion, enjoy an extra long Christmas special in the middle of July.

Liverpool, 24 December '67, 4:12 PM

It was a quiet morning, in which I packed my bag and some lunch for underway. Paul made a quick detour to his house so he could get his own set of clean clothes and pick up Martha the sheepdog. While he was gone, Maggie and her boyfriend, Patrick, came over. They were joining us for the trip up north, though they were taking his car.

We started our journey just after noon, driving with the windows up and huddled in more than one coat and a massive dog in the backseat. We had taken Paul's Aston Martin, partly because Fran had taken our car and partly because Paul just wanted to drive that car of his.

By the time we finally pulled up in front of my parents' house, it was dark and even colder than before. But I didn't let it get on my spirits. I was here with my family and with my boyfriend. I could see Patrick's car, but no sight of him or my sister, which led me to believe they were inside already.

I suddenly felt quite self-conscious. There was no reason to as Paul used to live close by, but I still felt ashamed of the tiny house I grew up in. It was small, really small and looking up at Paul, I could see him doing the maths in his brain. Eight people and only three bedrooms. Yes, it was that small.

He looked down, then shook his head. 'Reminds me of my old place, before we moved, y'know. The one I grew up in,' he said as he took my hand. 'Let's meet these parents of yours then.'

I grinned and tugged him forward. 'They'll love you,' I promised him as I knocked on the front door.

And they did. Ma remembered Paul from when he was a little Macca and couldn't stop doting on how grown-up he looked. She was seemingly oblivious to the fact that his band had done so well. Pa was a little less enthusiastic, but he still made sure Paul felt welcomed and warned. Things quieted down a bit, up until there was a loud knock on the door; Marty, his wife, Anne, and their little baby girl had just arrived.

'Greetings, greetings,' my brother called out, jovially, as he greeted everyone, until he came over to me and kissed me on the cheek. He looked up and a wide grin spread on his face. 'Are me eyes deceivin' me, or is that Paul McCartney in me parents' front room,' he called out, then slapped Paul on the shoulder. 'How are ye doing, mate? Been going 'round with me sister, I heard.'

Paul chuckled and pulled Marty in for a hug. 'Marty, it's been too long,' he said, smiling too. 'Yeah, yeah, she's got me all wrapped up. What about you?'

The two men started catching up, reminiscing about when they last saw each other, which was years ago, in the Cavern. I was very quick to realise that neither my brother, nor my boyfriend was going to give me any attention before they had given each other the ups and downs of their lives.

Maggie was busying herself with Ma in the kitchen and I knew better than to show up there, too. I hated cooking and spending the afternoon being bossed around by my mum and older sister didn't necessarily sound like fun. So I went over to Anne, who was doting on her little girl.

'What a lovely baby,' I mused, looking down at the cute, little human in my sister-in-law's arms.

'Do you want to hold her?' Anne offered and when I nodded, she handed me little Eileen. I couldn't put into words how it felt to have my little niece sleeping in my arms. The way the little girl looked lying in my arms made me feel warm inside.

'She's a pet, isn't she?' Anne said and I couldn't agree more. She was a darling. Too precious for her own good and I was lucky enough to call her my niece.