5. Slide

EMI studio's, 16 February '67, approx. 7:10 PM

Paul P.O.V.

'So, that's it. What d'ya think? Could be a song, right?' George asked as he finished playing a song he'd written, the Dm7 still ringing out. He asked the question to all of us, but we knew it was John's opinion he was really after.

John just gave a very short nod, which wasn't neither confirmation or a rejection. George would have to wait for the answer whether or not his song was going on our album. 'Anyone else got anything?' John asked.

This was how most of our meetings went nowadays. Someone had written a track and played it to the others and we decided whether or not to put it on the album, with John having the final word. And if he wasn't fully convinced, we would go on to the next one.

It didn't use to be like that. Eppy used to be in charge of the meetings and the songs we'd record, but he seemed to think that now that we didn't want to tour anymore, we wouldn't need him during our meetings. This couldn't be further from the truth as now it seemed like it was just John's band. I should probably do something about that.

'I've something,' Ritchie said, which confused me. He usually didn't speak during the meetings and especially not when we were discussing songs.

'You've got a song?' I raised my eyebrows. He had never written a song in his life.

'Don't be ridiculous. The moment Ritch writes a song, I'll eat my shoe,' John deadpanned.

Ritchie chuckled. 'I'll hold you to that when we record it. No, I don't mean a song. I've got something to tell ya,' he said. 'Mo and I 'ave decided Zak needs a sibling.'

It was silent for a moment as we realised what he was saying. John was the first to connect the dots, which he made sure we all knew by gasping loudly. 'A sibling? You mean she's pregnant?'

'Yep, we've got another one on the way. The little one's probably going to be here somewhere 'round September,' he said proudly. 'We'll have to plan around that then.'

'Congrats mate! That's great!' I congratulated my oldest bandmate. 'Another Beatles baby. About time, isn't it?'

'Says who? I don't see you putting any in, do you, Macca?' John smirked. He made a fair point; Jane and I weren't anywhere near having kids. Then again, maybe that would convince her to stay home more than working all the time.

'Oh and guess the best thing? We've found a nurse from Liverpool in the hospital.' As soon as Ritchie said that I perked up. It couldn't be, could it? Then again, it would be such a coincidence. 'Imagine that, another scouse in London. By now there can't be any left up north.'

I zoomed out after that, my mind far from the mundane conversation about George's new song or Ritchie's new baby; nothing about John today, thank goodness. My mind was in a small apartment in the east of Notting Hill. And my mind was all over the place.

When the meeting was finally over and we called it a day, I for once didn't stay behind to work on some things. I was usually one of the last to leave the studio, but not today. Today I was straight out the door and thanked myself for oversleeping this morning. If I had been on time, I would have walked to the studio, but I had been running late, so I had taken the car.

I didn't even realise I wasn't driving home, until I pulled up in front of her apartment. I knew I shouldn't be here. Why was I even at her place? But with Jane gone off filming and Ritchie unknowingly talking about her during the meeting, I somehow knew I had to see her. I had to see Archie and speak with her. About what, I wasn't sure of yet.

By the time I stepped out of my car, it was past nine o'clock. I wasn't even sure if she was home or still at work. Mate, I hadn't even seen her in two months. I had no reason to be here and yet I was.