28. Faithfully

St. Mary's Hospital, London, 18 August '67, 10:31 PM

"Life isn't fair to women, that's why we should stick together." That's what Ma used to always say and it rings through my mind as I sat in the bus at night. Head down, don't make eye contact, sit close to the bus driver. You're nearly there.

Back in Liverpool Ma wouldn't even allow me to walk or cycle back home alone after a late shift. She made Pa or Marty pick me up, which was the reason I spent so many nights at the Cavern. But I lived in London now and I had to face it on my own.

I felt lonely and vulnerable. In the last few months, whenever I would have a late shift at the hospital, I would arrange for Paul to come and take me home, or I would take a taxi. But there were no taxi's driving around and I didn't have any change left anyways. Salary was due next Friday, but money had already run out. So instead, I had taken the bus, one of the last of the night.

A month had gone by since my conversation with Paul, when I had literally shown him the door. He had stayed away, thankfully, but apparently couldn't resist sending me an expensive gift for my birthday. The package had showed up on my doorstep with no note on the outside, but there was one on the inside. All it said was "to the arch of my love. thinking of you today. JPM", but it sure messed with my mind.

The gift itself was a gorgeous necklace. He knew I wasn't big on jewellery, but wore the occasional heirloom in the form of a small necklace. And thus Paul had gotten me a beautiful necklace with a heart-shaped gemstone. The chain itself was of a simple silver, but it somehow tied it all together beautifully. I couldn't deny wearing it. I had no clue why I was putting myself through that, either, but I couldn't not wear it.

I had tried to avoid anything that was Beatles related, but work still went on and unfortunately I was still one of the nurses that had to deliver the latest Beatles baby.

I stifled a yawn as the doors closed and we left another stop. Only two more to go now. I had worked a dayshift and gotten home just after seven o'clock. Not even two hours later, I had gotten a call from the hospital to say that Mrs Starkey might be in labour. And now it was past ten at night and I was on the bus, because she was indeed having her baby tonight.

There was a bit of fear rushing through me, lingering behind, as the bus made its way through the wet streets. It had been raining today and though it wasn't right now, the streets were glistering with water. It resulted in all sorts of shadows dancing over the streets and buildings. Thankfully the bus stopped right in front of the hospital and I was able to make a dash for it. I didn't feel safe.

When I finally made it inside the warm building, I rushed to the staffroom. I had barely any time to greet my colleagues as I put my stuff away and made my way to the delivery room. I took over from another nurse, who did normally work in the maternity ward.

Apparently the Starkey's had insisted on me being there. I understood why Mrs Starkey would, as she had no idea what had gone down between me, Paul and her husband, but Ritchie Starkey had made it very clear that he wanted nothing to do with me. I had imagined that he would take every opportunity he had to get rid of me.

The birth itself seemed to drag on forever. During my first apprenticeship at St Mary's, five years ago, I had done a couple of births, but once I got my license I was assigned to the children's ward. This was my first birth in almost five years and I couldn't remember them lasting this long. Then again, when Ma had me, she had apparently been in labour for nearly a day, this could be a long one.

Ritchie was ushered out of the delivery room just past two in the morning. But even then it took another three hours before we finally heard the wails of a new-born baby.