Ten: Unsteady

Beginne am Anfang

"Tell me where he is." She hissed, loosening her grip to where I could barely breathe. I gasped for air, my sharpened teeth accidentally cutting into my lip and I stiffened at the tangy scent of blood that filled the air. Elizabeth's snarling grew impossibly loud when Camille's nostrils flared, her bright eyes catching sight of the blood dripping down my lip before flicking to my face. My jaw flexed as I dared her to do it, selfishly hoping she would, knowing that taking my blood would be a death sentence. Something inside me ached for it, this fight. It was as if a dormant power within me had suddenly awoken, raising its head and flooding my body with heat. Catching Elizabeth's eyes, I flinched as her sister's thumb pressed lightly against the corner of my mouth, wiping the blood away. I wasn't sure what she saw looking back at her through my eyes, but it was enough that a flash of apology danced in her eyes just before she turned away.

"I'm okay, Elizabeth." I soothed, sensing the moment her other turned it's attention to me. I knew she was working incredibly hard to hold herself back, her veins burning with the need to whisk me away. Black veins spread outward from her eyes and down her arms, and that other part of me surged forward, trying to latch onto her, desperate to leach the power away. Her ebony eyes fell onto me as a ripple of power skirted through my mind. "I'm okay." Her fists clenched at her sides.

"What if it was her, Elizabeth." She shook me slightly. "What if someone had taken your mate and dropped her in the depths of the ocean, content to leave her to drown over and over. Never able to die, just an endless cycle of hunger and madness."

"It will never be her." Her voice was lisped through the presence of her fangs. Camille rose her only hand in exasperation, pinching her nose. Being this close to her had its advantages, as I saw just how exhausted and broken she really was. Her fingers shook and her eyes were red-rimmed with exhaustion and pain. I knew what it was like to be away from Elizabeth for two months, but a decade? Century? Looking into her face, I could see it was pure agony and I would surely not survive it.

"Release my mate Camille." Anxiety rolled in my stomach as the low warning shook the air.

"Release mine." She growled back. I knew I had to act fast before everything spun further out of control and someone actually died. Maybe it meant nothing to vampires, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if Elizabeth killed her own sister.

"Give her what she wants. Elizabeth, there is no need for this unnecessary pain. If it means we will have an allay on our side, then give her what she wants." Her eyes met mine for a long moment, her monster watching me through her eyes, a crooked smile pulling her lip up. I sucked in a breath as she spoke, knowing that Elizabeth was gone, perhaps she always had been. My wolf pricked it's ears at the presence of her monster, forever intrigued.

"You are a lovely negotiator, my darling. But I am afraid that I am not as reasonable as my counterpart. She laid her hands on what it's only mine to touch, made you bleed, and for that she must be punished."

"For what gain? You have me. I am yours. Not even death could pull me from your side. But Camille has lived decades without her mate, and that is not something I can live with." I paused to suck in a breath, my wrists aching under Camille's strong grip. "I know not for the reason he was thrown away, but hasn't he been punished long enough? It is time to move on, we have a war to fight."

Her eyes flashed dangerously in the dim light of the room, the day lowering into sunset. Camille shook me again, grinding the bones in my wrist together painfully. "I don't want to harm her, but if I don't have an answer soon, I fear I may have to." I sighed in annoyance, my body screaming with pain and fatigue. Elizabeth's desperate expression softened slightly as she ran her gaze over my face, taking in the exhaustion there. I was suddenly gripped with an unwavering need to be in her arms, the events of the day weighed heavily on my shoulders and I feared I could cripple under the weight of it. Camille stepped back as she stepped forward, keeping me firmly in front of her and curling her fingers around my throat.

"Let her go and I will take you to Michael."

I could barely make out Camille's jawline as it flexed with stubbornness. Despite the seriousness of the situation, I had to hide a smile. Sisters were sisters, despite being nearly a thousand years old. I yelped as Camille suddenly turned, jerking me in front of her and twisting my arms behind my back while planting herself behind me. I hadn't realized until then just how strong she was and it dawned on me that these chains may very well be little more than string to her, meaning she actually allowed herself to be chained. It was her plan all along to use me as a shield. "Give me your word."

A low growl split the air, her face twisted into an expression of pleading. I could feel her need to grab me as it rumbled through our bond, every muscle twitching with the desire to shed blood. "You have my word. Now let her go. Please."

"As amusing as it is to see my sister beg, I want her word. Give me her word that no harm will befall on him when we find him." Her warm breath blew across the back of my neck. I twitched in surprise, causing a small laugh to escape the woman at my back as she leaned forward to whisper in my ear. "You are unaware of the power you hold over her, little wolf." I ignored her and held Elizabeth's gaze, taking in the way her muscles trembled with what I knew now to be fear.

"Camille please......just give her back to me." She pleaded, her fingers twitching. My heart lurched in my chest and I turned my head away, unable to bear her tormented expression for another second.

"You have my word that we will find your Michael, and that no harm will come to him." I conceded tiredly, twisting in her grasp to meet her eyes. "Now I suggest you let me go before things really get ugly." Her full lips formed a small smile as she removed her hand from my neck.

"It was a pleasure." She murmured, shoving me away from her. Elizabeth moved so fast she was a blur, wrenching me away from Camille and hauling me into her arms. Her body shuttered violently as she buried her face in my hair, breathing deeply. I couldn't deny the emotion that coursed through me and our bond, at the sight of my powerful mate rattled beyond belief. She had been truly and utterly terrified that Camille would actually harm me. It was a startling thought that even as she whispered mine, over and over in my ear and mind, would not escape me. I met the witch's eyes from across the room, a low growl vibrating through my chest as she winked from her casual position against the wall, wondering what we were going to do with her now. But before I could dwell any further, a challenge flashed through her eyes, catching the attention of my wolf and whatever else was inside me.

"Your move."

Well played Camille, well played. Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Thank you so much for all the sweet messages and support. My aunt passed last Saturday. It was sudden and very hard for my family, but we know she isn't in pain anymore.

Anyway, drop a comment and a vote! Love you guys. 😘

-K ❤️