His wife didn't ask any questions, the low curse was heard, and gone was her cheer, she quietly agreed with him and ended the call. 
"So she made her choice?" Eli asked looking from one boy to the other. 

"She chose the fucktard over a guy who has been loyal to her for years. Yeah, she definitely made her choice, ditching us was the package deal also," Mischa grounded out before stalking to his room. The slamming of his door reverberated in Eli and Elijah's ears. Unsure of what to do, Elijah fiddled with his phone, praying that his cousin will survive this. Again the guilt grew inside of him for thinking of Erica and her shy smile.

"You okay, kid?"

"I don't know. It feels .... wrong now, feeling so happy earlier when my cousin is going through hell. I met a girl who I'm really interested in, my first day of school and I managed to make a date with her. We started off on the wrong foot then things got better. She captured my attention without doing anything. I don't know if it's the right time anymore to explore this new relationship. Maybe I should wait..." 

Eli felt at war for his son. The boy's heart was in the right place for his cousin but at the same time he's giving up on a chance to make new experiences in the world of dating. The family knew how captured he was by Bree back in grade school which lasted through the years. Something went wrong on the girl's side for her to accuse Elijah of being unfaithful and wanting a menage relationship like his sister. He wasn't being biased because it's his kid but he knows his son from the open relationship they have. Elijah wears his heart on his sleeve to an extent, logical in thinking but empathetic to those close to him. This is why he was feeling this way.

"So what do you want to do?" he asked. 

"I don't know," Elijah whispered before looking at his phone when a message came through. His father saw the makings of a smile when he read the contents of the text. "A friendship will be a good start," Eli suggested. 

"Right. Begin a friendship with a girl I call my beautiful island flower and want to kiss her in the same breath," he confessed with an uneasy laugh. Eli raised his eyebrows in amusement, his son was serious about this girl... and after one day. Shit, he couldn't judge, he was pining after Janine the first day he saw her. Like father like son? Hmmm. This will be another interesting senior year.

"You're right. Talk to her. I'm going to check on Shaye, I will call you guys when your mom comes home. In this situation with Harem and Selby, we won't have any say in it. Just know we'll be here if you guys need help or want to talk. I pray this won't be a repeat of Mari's senior year," Eli said. The frightened voice of his daughter about Issac's suicide attempt still resonates in his mind. To know a kid went through so much at the hands of his family to ever think about giving up, makes him wonder if his parenting skills are good enough.

"Thanks, Dad."

Leaving his son to his own devices, he gave a quick knock to Mischa's bedroom door. "I'm okay, uncle. Need to process."

"Take your time. I'll call you for dinner."  

The muffled okay was heard before he moved on to his daughter's room at the beginning of the hall. "Princess?" 

"Yes, daddy. Is mom home as yet? I can't decide what to wear tomorrow," she answered. Eli stifled his laughter after hearing the annoyance in her voice. Opening her door, he followed her frustrated mumbles into her closet. Standing with her hands on her hips, she was the exact replica of her mother. "Enjoyed your first day then," he stated.

"Yup. Made a new friend. Her name is Shaun. We found it cool that both our names begin with Sh and the baby of the family. She says her brothers spoil her too."