chapter five

Miles

"Demi! Where the fuck are you?" I called out to my boss, dropping my bag on the stool next to the kitchen counter. I just got here and Demi wasn't anywhere in the house, her car was here so I suppose she's somewhere.

"I'm by the pool Miles!" I heard her yell, the glass doors that led to the backyard were open so I could see a bit of her pool. It was a hot summer day, and I really wanted to cool off but I couldn't, at least not yet.

I trudge through the glass doors, my sandals slapping against the pavement as I walk to the pool. Demi was laying down on a beach chair, her sunglasses on and a see through fannel drap around her shoulders, her black two piece bikini underneath.

She looks over at me when she saw me walking toward her in a tank top and short jeans, my hair was tied up in a ponytail and I was squinting through the strong rays of the sun.

"Hey! What's up?" She says, smiling cheerfully at me as she pats the beach chair next to her so I could sit down. I walk around her and sat down, pursing my lips at her. How is she not hot? It's like 96 degrees out here and everyone was probably at the beach or at the pool. I was sweating like a goddamn pig.

"How are you not hot? It's like I'm being boiled alive here," I say and she chuckles at me, loweing her sunglasses to the bridge of her nose so I can look at her eyes.

"I got a glass of cool wine here and I have a fan, didn't you brought anything for the heat?" She asks me and I shake my head.

"No, mom had to drag me out of bed or else I'll come late. She didn't let me get enough time to grab some things," I say and she nods at me, pushing her sunglasses back up.

"Well you could help yourself to anything I got, I won't mind." Demi says and I nodded, she turns back to the book she was currently reading while I sat there next to her. Since I couldn't sit still, my fingers started to drum along my thighs as I look around her backyard. It was really beautiful, something you could see when your at a rich person's house. Demi had a rectangular pool in the ground, on the bottom of the pool you could see half of a guitar, it was like wallpaper. On the right side of her pool was a hot tub, next to it a fountain that let water fall onto the pool. Around the fountain, hot tub and pool was perfectly cut grass, a patio like house was near the fence, in it a swinging couch thing. A couple of trees and flowers linger around, one of the trees even had a tire swing. Behind us was a kitchen patio, the grill was there with a fire place in front with other kitchen stuff.

"Miles, you alright?" I heard Demi asks me, snapping me out of my trance and I look back at her. Her eyes looked at me a bit worrily, her sunglasses pushed down her nose.

"Hm, yeah? Oh yeah I'm fine, why you asking?" I say, a bit confusedly.

"Well you keep drumming your fingers, your foot keeps tapping against the ground, you fidget a lot, your eyes are unfocus, it seems like you can't keep still, is everything okay?" She says and I was a little shock because she's observent. I realized that I was tapping my foot and I kept figeting. She saw that I couldn't keep still, even as much as I try.

At her words, I quickly stop my tapping, moving my hands under my thighs so I would stop, willed myself to stop figeting and looked at her. "Yeah, everything's fine. Don't worry bout me boss," I say, giving her a smile. And everything was fine, nothing bad was happening and I felt completely relaxed and calm, even if the heat was beating down on me.

"Okay, if you say so." She says, her eyes looking over at me before going back to her book, but she would glance at me from the corner of her eye. I clench my jaw, waiting impatiently for her to tell me to do something.