46 | falling apart

❝ Latrelle is obsessed with me! He won't stop until you're all dead! ❞

Latrelle is obsessed with me! He won't stop until you're all dead!

The next morning, Cesar was surprisingly fast asleep. He was dreaming about Ruby. Specifically about their friendship—like how they went from hating each other to becoming the closest of friends. They really grew as people which made Cesar smile in his sleep.

Unfortunately, his dream turned into a nightmare. The recollection of Ruby wheezing on the floor in his own pool of blood made Cesar jolt awake. When he did, he scanned the around the room with furrowed eyebrows, immediately realizing it wasn't his room.

It was Monse's.

He looked to his left and saw Monse laying down next to him. She was facing the other way. Was she still asleep?

He didn't want to wake her so he stealthily tried to get up from the bed.

"Good morning," Monse said suddenly, startling him. Her back was still facing him.

He sat back down slowly while focusing on her. "You were awake?"

She sat up and faced him. "I couldn't sleep."

Cesar frowned. "You need rest, babe."

"Ruby and Isabella should be laying in their beds right now too, but they're not!"

"Monse, you can't blame yourself for what happened," Cesar told her.

"But I can!" she countered. "Latrelle is obsessed with me! He won't stop until you're all dead!"

"I don't think this had anything to do with you. He specifically targeted Isabella. He planned this."

"Yeah, and Ruby got hurt in the process!" Monse shook her head in anguish. "I let them down! I was supposed to get rid of Latrelle for good!"

Cesar reached over to hold her hand. He looked into his eyes. "They'll pull through and Latrelle's going to get what he deserves."

Monse looked at him and spoke desolately. "And if they don't?"

Cesar couldn't even stomach the thought. "...Let's not jinx it."

Monse rolled her eyes with a loud huff, completely angry with herself for letting things get this bad. She threw her hands up angrily. "All I do is jinx stuff! I started talking about Latrelle and then boom, he shows up!"

Cesar was getting ticked off by her constant self guilt. "I'm telling you, Latrelle had this planned already!"

"But why?! I just don't get it! Why shoot Isabella?"

Cesar shrugged sadly. "I don't know."

Monse let out a gloomy sigh. "How were you even able to sleep?"

"I've seen a lot of crazy shit ever since I became a Santo. But trust me, it wasn't easy. I had a nightmare."

"About Ruby?"