20 | ❛ you think this is a game? ❜

❝ I do

I do. I'm controlling all these bitches.

Monday morning, Monse was in her room on the phone with her best friend Kayla.

"So update me, what's going on? You haven't spoken to me all weekend," Kayla wondered.

"It's nothing Kayla," Monse responded.

"It's obviously something if you're too busy for me."

"I'd be here all day if I told you what was going on. Besides, I don't even know where to start," Monse told her.

"Well start somewhere."

"Well I have twenty minutes to get to school so, can't," Monse said as she put on her necklace that Kayla gave her.

"And I have...twenty seconds to get to class," Kayla replied with a laugh.

"Go to class. We'll talk later."

"You promise?"

"I promise."

"MONSE!" her father yelled from downstairs.

Monse rolled her eyes. "Bye," she said before hanging up.

Her father barged into her room. "Are you out of your mind?!?!"

"What?"

"I thought you didn't want to be around the gangs?" Monty asked.

"I don't."

"So why is Latrelle knocking on our door saying that he's here to take you to school?!"

Monse's eyes lit up. "Wait, really?" she asked excitedly. She quickly dashed out of her room.

Monty followed behind her. "Monse, I asked you a question!"

"Latrelle's my friend," Monse answered.

"Why? That boy is nothing but trouble!"

Monse swiveled around angrily. "I swear to god, if I hear that one more time!"

"So you've been told this before and you're still in his company?"

"Latrelle's actually a sweet guy, dad. He's just stuck in a shitty situation," Monse defended, heading for the door.

"Don't you dare open that door!" Monty said sternly.

Monse shrugged. "Too late." She opened the door and Latrelle stood on the other side with a smile on his face.

"Hey beautiful," Latrelle greeted. "You ready to go?"

"I sure am," Monse replied. "Bye, daddy."

Monty stormed up to the door. "GET AWAY FROM MY DAUGHTER!"

"DAD, STOP!"