10 | fifteen minutes of fame

❝ Cesar's going to get a lot of respect around here again ❞

Cesar's going to get a lot of respect around here again

Friday morning, Ruby swung his bag over his shoulder and quickly sped out of his room, headed for the front door. "Bye Ma!"

"Nu-uh! Come here, boy!" Geny demanded.

Ruby sucked his teeth and went to the kitchen. "Yes?"

Geny checked his face. "Okay, you're good to go."

Ruby rolled his eyes. "I haven't fought since that day, ma."

"And you better not fight anymore! Especially not with Cesar! Your principal is concerned about you and so am I."

"Well tell the principal there's nothing to worry about. Cesar's not a threat. I beat him up, remember? If anything, people fear me now," Ruby said with a sly smirk.

"And you think that makes you safe? You're an even bigger target now," Geny warned.

"I'll take them all out if I have to," Ruby challenged.

His mother rolled her eyes. "Where's Jamal? I haven't seen him lately."

"Um..."

Then the doorbell rang.

"Oh, look! That's him right now!" Ruby quickly said. He rushed to the door. "Bye Ma!"

"WAIT! Let me speak to him!" Geny yelled after him, but Ruby quickly closed the door.

He spoke to Isabella. "Let's go before she looks out the window."

"You still didn't tell her about Jamal?" Isabella asked.

"Nope, and I never will."

『••✎••』

They arrived at school. As usual, there was a group of students standing on the steps ready to greet Ruby. But something was different today. They weren't saying anything to him.

Ruby scanned around with a puzzled look. "Um, are they blind?"

"ARE YOU BITCHES BLIND?!" Isabella yelled. Everyone looked at her with a startled expression. She didn't care though. She continued her shouting. "Where's the respect around here?!"

"Hello Ruby," the students said in unison. They spoke quietly as if they were scared of being heard.

Ruby waved at everyone, still a little confused as to why everyone was acting weird, and headed inside the school with Isabella. "You didn't have to do that, you know."

"Yes I did. I don't know why they're acting brand new today," Isabella replied.

They scanned the halls. Only some of the students acknowledged his presence and waved at him. Then they saw Dave standing at his locker. Isabella strode up to him angrily and slammed him against the locker.