Dinner

Sam and Jessica joined the family in the dining room, and had a delicious Thanksgiving meal.  Jessica was still heartbroken, and Sam felt horrible for making her feel that way, but both pushed their feelings to the side, and put on a smile for their kids.

"Momma, this little baby sure does like your cooking!" Jessica says leaning back in her chair, and holding her bump.

"Aww!  I'm glad! So you two! When will we know what the baby is?"

"Well I guess we can find out anytime but, I've been thinking and I kinda want it to be a surprise when I give birth."

"That's torture!" Autumn says.

"I think it'll be special!"

"Well then I'm going to be in there when you have the baby because I want to know first!"

"Okay!" Jessica chuckles.

"I think you're right, Jessica.  That would be cool to wait til he or she is born." Sam says.

Jessica turns to him and smiles very very softly.
"Yep.."

**

That evening.

"Do you need anything before I go up to bed?" Jessica asks Sam who was laying in the downstairs guest bedroom.

"No, I'm okay.. you're going upstairs?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"Because I don't want to be around you right now, Sam."

"I'm sorry.. I understand."

Jessica sighs.
"You really hurt me today."

"I know. I feel terrible."

"I don't know what our future holds.. I just know it's something completely different than it was just a few months ago.
If you still want to live with your parents, go ahead."

"No, I-I wanna stay."

"Okay.."

She then takes a deep breath and says, "Well goodnight. I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight.."

Sam laid down as Jessica shut the light off. He sighed as he relaxed onto the pillow.
"Please help me remember. I don't want to continue hurting her."

***

December 6th.
Julia's 4th birthday.

"Good morning." Sam says walking into the kitchen where Jessica was bright and early.

"Hey.. you're up early."

"So are you!" Sam chuckles softly.

"Yeah. I just wanted to get up and make her favorites. Her last birthday wasn't the best for her."

"What happened?"

Jessica shakes her head and sighs.
"Danny happened."

"Of course."

"You and him got into a fight."

"Wow! I'm really the fighting type, aren't I?"

"You didn't used to be." Jessica chuckles.

"He came to Julia's birthday party uninvited, and was acting like his usual dumbass self.. he grabbed a hold of my arm and tried forcing me outside. That's when you stepped in."