Button

May 2006.

Jessica is 19 years old. She and her boyfriend Sam have been together since freshman year of high school. Since that first kiss they have been inseparable.

Sam fell in love with Jessica's sweet personality. Of course she is the most beautiful woman he has ever met, but her heart. That's what truly made him fall in love with her.

Not once has Sam ever heard Jessica speak poorly about another person. She is kind to everyone. Even the ones who don't deserve her kindness.

In May of 2006 Jessica discovered something that made her so happy, yet so scared. At nineteen, Jessica found herself pregnant.
Instantly, she loved the little life growing inside of her. She wanted this little baby more than anything in the world.

Tonight she is telling her boyfriend, Sam.
Jessica worried about Sam's reaction. Would he be happy? Would he upset and leave her? Jessica just wanted to get it all out as soon as possible.

Jessica met Sam after one of his classes. She pulled him aside. Her palms sweaty. Her heart beating fast.

"Sammy.." She said.

"Hey beautiful!" Sam greeted her with a hug and soft kiss.

"Hi.."

"You okay? Where's your beautiful smile?" He asks.

Jessica looked up and smiled softly.

"There it is! Still.. you look worried. What's up?"

"Sam.. do you love me?"

"Are you crazy?" Sam chuckled.

"I'm nuts about you. I love you with everything I have!"

"So.. do you promise to always love me?"

"Yes, Button. Always." Sam smiles.

"Do you promise to love me even when I gain weight?"

"What?" Sam laughed. "Funny question, but yes! I'll love you even if you gain hundreds of pounds." He smiles.

"Do you promise to love our baby until the day you die?" Jessica asked. Her eyes filling with tears. Her voice shaking.

"What? Our baby?" Sam's eyes went wide.

Jessica slowly nods. "..I'm pregnant."

"Woah! Button, this is amazing! You're having a baby?! We're having a baby?!"

"Yeah.." Jessica smiles.

"We're having a baby!" Sam cheers.

He hugs her tightly as Jessica laughs. She was so relieved that Sam was happy.

***

January 25th 2007.

"She's not gonna come out, Sam. I've asked her so nicely and she's not listening to me." Jessica said in the sweetest voice.

"Aw my poor baby!" Sam pouts. "This is totally normal, Button." He kneels down in front of where she's sitting. He places his hands on her big round belly, feeling his unborn daughter moving around.

"She's two weeks late, Sam!" Jessica whines.

"I know.. but hey! She let us move into our apartment. We were able to get her room decorated! That's good, huh?"

"Yeah.. I guess so.."

Sam smiles and kisses her button nose.

"I love you."

"I love you too, Sammy."

Jessica then takes a small gasp and looks down.

"You okay?"

"It's just a little pain. I don't think it's anything."

"Well be positive!" Sam smiled. "It could be the beginning! Are you gonna come out, baby girl?"

Jessica smiled as he spoke to their baby girl.
He then kisses her stomach before kissing Jessica's lips.

"Let's get some rest, mommy. I feel like our relaxing days at home are coming to an end."

"I think you're right, daddy." Jessica giggles softly.

Sam was correct. That little pain was the beginning of hours and hours of hard labor.
All of that work. All of that pain was worth it.
On January 26th, at 11:07 pm.  Sam and Jessica's baby girl was born.

"Autumn Rae Shepard.  Such a beautiful name for a very beautiful little girl." Jessica smiled down to her precious baby girl.

"She's so perfect.. you know, she was your birthday present, right?  I knew I gave you some of my best moves that night!"

Jessica laughed. "Ooh! Don't make me laugh, Sammy." Jessica takes a painful sigh.

"Sorry.." Sam kissed her forehead before looking down to his brand new baby girl.

"Wow.. I still can't believe this.  I can't believe she's ours."

"I know.." Jessica smiled down to the baby girl.

Autumn was wide awake, just looking around at her new surroundings.

"We created her out of our love.. she's a product of both you and I, baby." Sam said.

Jessica looked to him with a beautiful smile.

"Thank you so much, Jessie.  I will forever be grateful for what you have done for our family."

"Oh Sam! That's so sweet."

Sam smiles softly. "I love you, Button." He kisses the tip of her nose.

"I love you too, Sammy."