10

Calum was worried.

For days now Mackenzie had barely been able to pull herself from their bed. At first he had thought it was just her being dramatic about not getting the part in the movie she had auditioned for, but now he feared something worse.

He hesitantly pushed open the door to the room that had once been his, but that the pair had taken to sharing, and sighed. She was asleep. She'd been asleep since just after seven the night before and now it was nearly noon. He leaned against the door frame letting his worry consume him. Something had to give.

He stepped through and moved towards the side of the bed where she lay. The mattress dipped as he sat on the edge and her eyes fluttered open as he stroked his hand through her hair.

"I let you sleep as long as I could love, but I'm worried about you."

She yawned and rubbed at her eyes, sitting up slowly before she began to speak.

"I don't know what's got into me. I'm just exhausted." She said softly as their eyes met.

"And hungry." He laughed. "I think you've put the boys and me to shame the past few days."

"Can't help it." She murmured, laying back down and closing her eyes. "Just don't have energy, she said weakly.

Calum frowned and placed his hand to her head.

"You've thrown up a bit too, yeah?" He asked and she nodded. "Maybe you should see the doctor. You might be coming down with something."

"I'm sure it's just a stomach bug. If it's not better in a few days I'll go see my doctor." She mumbled, her eyes already growing heavy.

Calum frowned before sliding under the covers beside her and pulling her to his chest. If she was gonna be sad and sick he would at least ensure that she wasn't alone.

She grew still and snored quietly in his arms as his mind raced. He wished he had an answer for why she had been so off. He rubbed circles into her arm as she snuggled closer to him, hoping she would wake up feeling more like herself.

"Mack, you promised you'd see a doctor. It's been three days." Calum said gently as he held her hair back and she continued to wretch into the toilet. 

After a moment she rocked back on her heels and slumped against him. His arms felt warm and strong around her and she allowed herself to be comforted by the feeling of his embrace.

"What if it's something bad?" She asked weakly.

"I'm sure it's just a virus or something. The boys and I leave for promo next week, I can't leave you here by yourself like this." He said, his voice low and earnest. She sighed and let her head drop against his shoulder. 

"I'll try to make an appointment for this afternoon." She said finally. 

He breathed a slight sigh of relief knowing they would have answers soon. He hated seeing her so weak and unlike herself. 

"You ready to get up?" He asked, not wanting to push her too hard. She nodded and his hands slid to her waist, supporting them both as he stood and helped her to her feet simultaneously. 

She was unsteady on her feet but stabilized after a moment and he followed closely behind her as she padded into the living room and situated herself on the couch. He pulled his phone from his back pocket and quickly read through the text from his mother. 

"Mum said to make you some soup. You want canned or you want me to Postmates it?"

"You don't ha-"