Tomato

BEN POV:

"We should tell Dani." I whisper. "We haven't and we meant to." I pull Toni closer. "She's gonna start asking us why Sweet Pea is her biological father and not me." She looks down. "How do you know?" She ask quietly. "Because. Science and kids." She smiles. "Ok. We can sit her down tomorrow." I nod. "Since you're so worried." She kisses me. I grin and deepen the kiss. I move my hand up her chest. She rips her shirt off and kisses me. "We don't have to." She whispers. "Do you?" I ask quietly. "Yeah." She smiles. I think you can assume what went down.

"Mommy and I need to talk to you." I whisper. "Is mommy having another baby?" Dani ask grossed out. "No! It's just gonna be you and Jason. Maybe a dog." She smiles and gets up. We sit in the kitchen. It's quietly for a minute. I look at Toni. "This was your idea." She smiles. "Umm." I fix my chair. "Well. You know how I'm a boy and you're a girl, right?" She nods. "Ok." I take a deep breath. "Well. You know how you need a boy and a girl to have a baby right?" She nods looking at me confused. "Well." My voice cracks a little. "I was born a girl." I confess. Dani looks at me confused. "So you're a girl?" I shake my head. "Not really. I was born a girl but once I got older, transitioned into a boy." I smile. "Will that happen to me? Because I like being a girl." She ask scared. "No! It was my choice. I didn't choose to become a boy! Like I didn't wake up and say that I wanted to live like this. I just finally came to the conclusion." I whisper. "So you're my mom?" I shake my head. "I'm still your dad. I'll always be your dad! No matter what." I tell her. "Ok."

"I know I've already asked you." Toni places a bandaid on my thigh. "Have you thought about surgery? Like recently?" She ask quietly. I look at her. "I had to borrow your computer a week ago. I saw you were doing some research." She whispers. "Yeah." I confess. "Are you going to?" She ask concerned. I nod. "I think so. I was going to talk to my gender therapist about it tomorrow." I whisper. "That's also why I haven't even thought about talking to you about it because I haven't even talked to my therapist." I tell her. "I want you to be happy. I really do! But are you sure? This could end horribly." She tells me. "No. But I really want to consider this." I whisper. "Ok. I'm here. No matter what." She smiles. "Now! If you would excuse me. I'm going to answer a million questions from a 6 year old." I pull my pants up. She laughs a little. I go to Dani's room. "Hey sweetheart." I whisper. I sit on her bed. "Do you want to talk?" I ask quietly. "You were a girl?" She ask quietly. I nod. "But I'm not anymore and this doesn't change anything." I whisper. "How did you become a boy?" She ask quietly. "Well. I cut my hair, now I take injections that help me stay one and had surgery that made my body look more like a boy. Unlike mom who hasn't." I tell her. "So it's like your still a girl but not." I nod. "Yes." I smile. "How was I made?" She ask quietly. "Well. You know Sweet Pea?" She nods. "He helped. When you're older. I'll explain this better." She looks at me. "I'm still your dad!" She nods. "Ok. I love you." She smiles. "I love you too baby." I kiss her cheek. "Get some rest." I whisper. "What about Jason?" She ask quietly. "Same thing." I whisper. She smiles and turns her lamp off. I go to Jason's room. "Dada!" He stands up in his crib. "Hey baby." I smile. "Hungry." He smiles. "It's late bud." I whisper. "I'm hungry." He smiles. "You need to sleep." I kiss his cheek.

"He's really starting to rap his head around life." I say quietly. Toni looks at me quietly. "What?" She looks at me confused. "We had a 10 minute conversation about how he needed to eat and that I wouldn't let him because it's late." She shrugs. "He's older than we think." She smiles. I kiss her.