𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘

"What's your name again?"

"Katherine," she strains through her teeth. She feels like her childhood dog, yanking tirelessly on his rope.

"Why don't you give it up, Kitty? There's no way out!"

"Don't—call me—that!" The metal enclosure snaps, and she drops to her back again with a sharp cry. Something metallic clacks beside her shoe, and she slowly reaches towards it.

"What is it?"

She squints at it. "A...bracket."

"Oh, thank God. A bracket. Now we got 'em!" Katherine just rolls her eyes and bites her tongue. Then Alvin's cage door pops open, and both of them rush forward. "Must've been a short. Maybe you knocked something loose." Tentatively, he creeps out of his cage.

Katherine glances to the door. "Um...maybe you should get back in there."

"What?"

"This isn't right—"

"Don't you want out of here?"

"Yeah, but that was too easy," she hisses.

"I'm gonna get out of here, I'm gonna send help, okay?"

"No! No, dude! Seriously, this might be a trap!" 

He's moving away from her. "Bye, Kitty."

"Oh my God." She holds her hands over her head and starts pacing. It's hard to hyperventilate with your arms overhead, but it sure is coming easy. "Oh my God." Alvin's cage door swings shut and locks.

You need to calm down.

It sounded so real, like Dean was right behind her. She whirled around, but there was nothing but darkness to be found.

She's in her own head. She's spooked. It's just a downward spiral from here.

Humans are smart, creatures are dumb. Well, not as smart. She knows monsters. Humans are tricky, manipulative. There's no telling what they want with her, but it's one of a few things.

The frosty Minnesota air chills her bones. Those freaks took her jacket, so she's stuck pacing to keep warm.

And then Alvin Jenkins is screaming bloody murder.

"Oh, Jesus Christ." She drops to her knees and starts praying.

"I don't mean to press my luck—"

"Your luck is so pressed." 

Dean glances to Kathleen on his right. "Right," he hums. "Why are you helping us out, anyway?"

"Seems like that Katherine girl has had a pretty tragic life," Kathleen says. Dean stares at her. "My brother, Riley, disappeared three years ago. A lot like Katherine. We searched for him, but...nothing." She sighs, lifting her eyes to Dean. "I know what it's like to feel responsible for someone. And for them..." She shakes her head. "Come on."

Sam is waiting in the back of her cruiser.

They pull into the first turnoff they've seen the whole trip.

"You stay here," Kathleen tells the boys.

"No way," Sam and Dean chorus.

"Hey!" They turn to her. "You're civilians—and felons, I think. I'm not taking you with me."

"You're not going without us."

Kathleen huffs and glances up the drive and to her car. "All right. But promise you won't get involved? You'll let me handle it?"