𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎

Katherine jumps as someone beats on the door with an urgency she's never heard before. She pokes her head out of the bathroom, toothbrush stuck in her mouth, and steps outside just as Dean's opening up the door. "She turned," Sam breathes.

"Wot?" Katherine asks around her toothpaste, pulling the blue plastic toothbrush from her mouth. White foam lingers around her lips.

"I couldn't grab her in time—"

"We'll find her, Sammy," Dean assures him. Katherine rushes to the bathroom, rinses her mouth out, and grabs her jacket before following the brothers outside and down the stairs.

"I already called Bobby," Sam says. "He doesn't know anything, except he knew severing the bloodline wouldn't work. I asked everyone—they all said it's impossible to reverse it."

"Well how come she didn't turn last night?" Katherine wonders.

"Maybe she's got to be asleep," Dean suggests.

Sam wants to rip his hair out. "What the hell does it matter, guys? We've got to find some way to help her, some legend we missed."

"Even if there was, don't you think one of your contacts would've known?" Katherine asks. "Everyone I know would've said the same thing—you can't do anything."

"Well we've got to look harder until we find something," Sam presses.

"Maybe we don't have a choice anymore," Katherine stresses.

He pulls himself to his full height, glowering at the smaller hunter. Katherine bows up in response; shoulders rigid, jaw set, blue eyes like stones. "What?"

Dean gently tugs on Katherine's elbow, shouldering himself between Sam and Katherine. "Sam, I'm with Katherine. She's a sweet girl, but there's part of her that's—"

There's something ironic about Sam's wry smirk. "Evil?"

"Yeah."

"That's what they say about me, Dean," Sam spits. "So me, neither of you will kill, but you're willing to just blow her away?" Katherine opens her mouth to retort, but Sam's cellphone rings. Katherine shoves her hands into her jacket pockets and starts pacing the tremors from her legs. Her fingers tremble against each other. "Madison, where are you?" He rushes for the car, and Katherine and Dean follow after him. "Well do you see any street signs? Okay—hang on, Maddie, we're coming to get you."

It was a very long, very awkward, drive to get Madison, and from where she was to her house. Sam sat in the backseat with her. Nobody spoke still. Not until they got to the kitchen.

"I don't remember anything," Madison says. "I probably killed someone last night, didn't I?"

"We don't know that," Katherine hums.

"Is there something else we can try to make it go away?"

"We'll find something," Sam says. Katherine shoots him a hard look, but he isn't paying attention to her. "There's got to be some answer, somewhere."

"That's not entirely true," Katherine interjects, and Madison turns to her. "Look, we've scoured every source. I did some digging last night. There's no cure."

Madison glances between the brothers. "Is she right?" 

Katherine's eyes narrow, and she almost scoffs. What the hell?

She rubs her forehead, allowing her vexations to be forgotten nearly immediately, and looks between Sam and Madison.

"We could lock you up at night," Dean says. "But when you bust out—and you will—someone else dies."