𝐓𝐖𝐎

Dean watches the teenager closely as she stares at her milkshake. "Why are you looking at me like that?" Katherine asks, blue eyes never having have shifted from her beloved styrofoam cup.

"Trying to figure you out."

She snorts, turning to look at the older man to her left. "Like I'm such a puzzle. Eyes on the road, before you kill us both." Katherine's tongue pushes her straw into her mouth. She barely tastes strawberry before she looks to Dean again, this time in curiosity. "What's there to figure out?"

"Maybe not so much you as me," he hums. 

Katherine's eyes narrow a bit in pondering. Then she looks to the watch face on her left wrist for a brief moment. "If you haven't spoken to your brother in a few years, how do you know where he lives?" A brief silence hangs as she recalls Dean tracked her down after ten years of zero contact. "Forget I asked." Dean smiles, looking away from her. Katherine gnaws on the edge of her straw, gazing out at Tuolumne River. "But why would you come find me first, if your dad's missing? And why me specifically?"

Dean lets out a dramatic, exasperated sigh. "Man you ask a lot of questions."

"And you don't answer enough of them."

"It's what my Dad told me to do," Dean tells her. "And you said it yourself—your Dad's been off the rez. Who else would I go to?"

Katherine's eyes narrow. "The last I spoke to my dad, he was with yours. With John. Were you with them?" After a moment, Dean shakes his head.

"No, they...went on another hunt." Katherine sits back in her seat, staring out at the blacktop with a slightly ajar mouth.

"So you don't know where he is either," she quietly remarks. Then she wets her lips, sitting up a little. "Did your dad say anything—"

"No." Dean glances to her. "I called him—a lot. His number's disconnected."

Katherine is silent for a few minutes. "What's your favorite color?" She inquires. Dean glances over to her, a bit perplexed. It was an innocent enough question, and her voice seems genuinely curious.

He wonders if it's her way of keeping a cap on whatever pent up frustrations she may or may not be feeling. He takes a moment to consider. Was she testing him, earlier in her apartment, when she spoke about her dad? If she knows Clay was hunting with them...did he just get caught in a lie?

"I guess blue's all right."

Her smile seems to fill the silence. And after beat, "Dean?"

"Yeah."

"It's your turn to ask."

He frowns, glancing over to Katherine. "I didn't agree to Twenty Questions."

"Well I might as well know you a little bit beyond your exclusive cassette collection," Katherine taunts, nudging the box with the toe of her boot. Dean glowers. "Hey," she defends. "I happen to enjoy your music."

Dean relaxes. "Okay, so med school. That comes after the first four years, right?" Katherine nods. "Did you go to Yale for that?"

"No, I went to USF for two years. Did you go to college?"

"Nope." Dean leans against the door. "Favorite food."

"Impossible to answer," Katherine scoffs. "If you could relive one day of your life, what would it be?"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Dean says. Katherine shifts her eyes to him, perplexed. "Too deep too soon."

She smiles and bites her lip, turning away from him. "I hate small talk," she explains.