𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

Sam would never make a counter-deal to save his brother, would he?

Katherine gnaws on the inside of her cheek as her thoughts go eight rounds against themselves in her mind. She knows she shouldn't make a deal to save Dean. Anyway, that douchebag demon said no other demon would come within a mile of her and a deal. Angels or whatever. What if she got there and though may have no intention of striking a deal with her own soul...what if the demon called her bluff? She'd kill it. Yeah. Real strong message. 

There has to be a loophole somewhere.

Katherine's hair rises on the back of her neck as she walks to the vending machine on the other side of the motel parking lot. Seconds later, the neon sign overhead flickers, and she gets a funny feeling of pressure in her left ear. When she turns that way, Ruby stands ten feet before her.

"Cool trick," Katherine mutters, continuing to the vending machine.

"Yours is cooler," Ruby hums. "Demon sense and whatever. Big perk with the whole, uh...package."

The huntress furrows her brow at the demon. "What..." Katherine shakes her head. More riddles, more nonsense. Part of her would like to ask the demon to elaborate...but where's the use in that? She wouldn't know what the angels are saying. She already knows what the demons are saying...very quickly, this conversation is shaping up to be of little value. "Ruby, you bailed Sam out with that other demon tonight, but that doesn't mean I like you...or even tolerate you. So...say what you want to say and leave before I pry that knife out of your jacket and stab you over and over again."

Ruby slowly nods, arms crossed. "You have a lot of pent up anger."

"I have a lot to be angry about."

"You just got married."

Katherine takes a deep, calming breath that she releases through her nose, looking at the vacant road straight ahead. Then she turns on her heel and looks at the blonde demon. "Let me get this straight," she begins. "You were human once, died, went to Hell...became that." Katherine gestures to the demon's body. Who is she wearing? "How long ago?"

"Back when the plague was big."

The huntress frowns. "And your name was Ruby?" The demon levels a flat look at Katherine, who sighs again. 

"You looked like you had a question back at that house," Ruby says. "Figured you didn't want to ask it in front of the Winchesters, so...here I am. You know all about demons, Katherine Louise...you know a lot of them were human once...and most of my cell mates were sent down by you, so I know a good bit about you." She cocks a brow at the huntress. "Got a big target on your back."

"Yeah," Katherine scoffs.

"So let's cut the shit. What do you want?"

Katherine's eyes turn to stones as she stares at the demon. Tries to see past the human face. For a moment, she thought she saw Ruby's eyes turn black. Saw the flesh melt away into a shapeless shadow with bared teeth.

"You want to save him," Ruby murmurs. There's a glint in her eye...not necessarily humor. But it's enough to rile Katherine. She clenches her jaw and practically beams Ruby in the head. "Because you still love him."

"Maybe you've forgotten," Katherine begins. "What with all your time in Hell, but those feelings don't just disappear."

"I didn't say anything was wrong with that," Ruby replies. "You've already tried, though...I know it. I've heard it."

"Why wouldn't that demon do it?" Katherine quietly asks, taking a rushed step forward. Ruby doesn't move. She doesn't blink. There's pleading in Katherine's eyes, something that's always seen in the most desperate of souls. Their time comes to pass, their contract expires, and they just want a little more time.