Chapter 22

The Wrong One

"Vodia, where are we going?"  Kayana giggled into Vodia's hands which were covering her eyes. 

Vodia had woken her up early after they had once again slept on the couch, nudging her even before the sun was up and only giving her enough time for a quick shower before he was already ushering her to the purring car. 

"Trust me Kayana."

I already do. But Kayana simply nodded, the smile on her face growing as she felt the road with her feet every step she took. The fresh smell of the air around her mixed with the sweet smell of flowers hinted that Kayana and Vodia must have been in some sort of a park, but the lack of human sounds confused her. If they were in a park, wouldn't there be other people around? 

At that moment, Kayana's foot slipped and she let out a squeal, forgetting that Vodia was right behind her. Vodia caught Kayana, her heart racing underneath his fingertips on her wrist. He could feel her heavy breathing on his chest and he knew he was matching her breath, though for perhaps a very different reason.

But the one thing that truly made Vodia smile was that Kayana's eyes were still closed. Even in the moment where she could have been seriously injured, she trusted him that he'd be there. And that made him feel that this was all worth it. 

Even if he couldn't have her love, he had something not many did. Her full trust.

He gently pushed her up so she was standing again, yet kept his palm on the small of her back to guide her. They were nearly there. His other hand held the handle of the picnic basket he had asked the hotel to keep ready for them so that they were ready to go so early. He needed this to be perfect. It was his last chance. 

Removing his palm from Kayana's back, Vodia separated the foliage and waited for Kayana to step through before he held her hand, pulling her forward to the middle of the space. Still not giving the order to open her eyes, Vodia began spreading out the picnic sheet the hotel had also packed, making sure to use the beautiful little stones as weights on the corners. Then, he pulled Kayana onto the sheet, seating her, then finally letting her open her eyes.

Kayana's eyes widened as she realised where they were. They were in a park, but more correctly, it was a reserve. She was surrounded by all sorts of flora, the beautiful trees swaying in the wind and the plants living harmoniously with the larger structures, but there were also animals.

She could see a flock of peacocks pecking about a few metres away, their amazing feathers spread out, casting an array of patterns on the green grass. Behind her there were deer, grazing gently on their food, their eyes wide and innocent, reminding Vodia of Kayana's very own. The light streamed through the openings in the trees, casting an enchanting glow on the world around her and Kayana could not believe Vodia would bring her here.

This was her dream.

Looking back at Vodia with tears in her eyes, Kayana clutched his hand, his large one encased in both her smaller palms. "Thank you, so much Vodia." Kayana could no longer find the words to explain her excitement, she just knew that Vodia knew her better than anyone in a long time.